Turn signals not working with new relay

Peter Ronney

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to get my 1978 XS400 back on the road for some time now. Mechanically it’s sound but the problem now is turn signals. I bought the bike with only the front ones and when I hit the signal indicator they just stayed on. No big deal, got some new ones for the rear. Not stock but really nice incandescent bobber style ones. Still just stayed on. Again no biggie and I’ll just order a new relay. I got a 0.2 - 20 amp LED relay, that should work fine for the bulbs I’m using. I plug it into the socket and nada. The signals don’t even come on when I hit the switch. I then tried a new thermal unit which also did the same thing, returned that one and got my $18 back. Anyone know what’s going on here? Are the pinouts different nowadays than when this bike was made? Or is there a wiring problem? I checked the socket for voltages but I’m not sure what I’m looking for.

Attachments

• 7E100B46-02BF-469A-BB47-536AB924FB0E.jpeg
    7E100B46-02BF-469A-BB47-536AB924FB0E.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 186
You have thrown so many wrenches in your works you will have to start all over. I know I'm confused by what you did and I normally sort that stuff out in seconds.

You have thrown so many wrenches in your works you will have to start all over. I know I'm confused by what you did and I normally sort that stuff out in seconds.
I thought I was clear, let me clarify. Bike had only front turn signals, got some non original incandescent rear ones, didn’t work as lights just stayed on, tried new relay, didn’t work as lights don’t come on, tried new thermal unit, didn’t work as lights don’t come on.

New three pin flasher relays won't work without some rewiring. The stock flasher runs one pin through the autocanceller.

A two pin flasher relay should work no problem.

I don't have the link but there are threads about rewiring the relay flasher socket.

I would make sure the front and back ones are the same wattage and ground the same. Then go to a two pin non-led style.

New three pin flasher relays won't work without some rewiring. The stock flasher runs one pin through the autocanceller.

A two pin flasher relay should work no problem.

I don't have the link but there are threads about rewiring the relay flasher socket.
That’s interesting, I’ll give it a go. Which two of the three pins should I use?

Back