Turn signals?

happy61

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Just thought I'd ask your opinions on running without turn signals. My little restoration project started out as just getting the old girl running for under $500. Three months later I'm at 2 grand and counting. Pretty much ready to pull the plug and the last thing is turn signals. Existing ones don't look right and new ones with labor are going to wreck the budget even more. Ohio doesn't require signals and although I haven't used hand signals (turn signals, now) since I rode my bicycle on my paper route, I'm thinking of dropping them. You guys that don't have them have any issues or is it not no big deal?

I would run them just because people are dumb and they aren't terribly expensive. From a local shop I got 2 pairs for $32. People can drop all sorts of anecdotal stories about how it's fine to run without them, but I prefer to err on the side of caution. Ultimately it is up to you.

yeah...whens the last time a teenager saw ...or understood....what the hell you were putting your arms for....as they were texting or ...God knows what else.
Too much technology today for the soccer moms and twits behind the wheels to remember what hand signals are for.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll try to keep them. The guy working on the bike says the flasher is bad and a new from Yamaha is $115. He's trying a generic one or a used one from E-bay.

Hm, I don't think you need a yamaha-specific flasher. Any auto parts store has a dozen different kinds. If the plug doesn't fit I bet you could just improvise some wiring. You should work on your bike yourself!

5$ or less #552 two prong auto flasher will work fine if plugged into correct slots of the three prong yam plug (no turn canceller tho') for LED turns you need a 10$ electronic flasher

yeah $115 is a little bit high, if i remember right i replaced mine for about $20 for a brand new aftermarket one.

Jayel's right about the vheap auto flasher. One of the first things I did on the 400. That and replace the signals with tome $2.50 ones from JCWhitney. Too bad they went up to $14 each right after that. I would have bought a dozen.

Back