1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Uncovering VIN

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ratpick, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Ratpick

Ratpick XS400 New Member

Hi there, I’m starting to put together one of my old projects. This bike wasn’t registered since out of state so I’ll need to show the vin for verification and get all the paperwork up to current on it here. Only thing is, can’t really see it. I know it’s stamped into headtube somewhere, but smooth painted over. I’d like some reference from some of you, exactly where. So that I can remove and patch as little paint as necessary. This is a 1980 XS400 ‘special’ I believe, so someone should have same frame out there to give me some measurements from right? Thanks

2. Ratpick

Ratpick XS400 New Member

Did it really upload pic like that? Ok, we’ll use your imagination, there’s thick metal flake over the front of that frame too

3. BBS360

BBS360 XS400 Guru Top Contributor

I'm not with my bike at the moment but it would be approximately as marked in the attached picture.
    20190404_120932.jpg
    It's a picture of the full bike. Might not preview properly on mobile but if you click it'll come up full.

4. Ratpick

Ratpick XS400 New Member

Thanks. It only took a little exploratory scraping where it was scuffed from wiring anyway. It’s got a vin!