1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Valve adjustment covers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nickman, Aug 12, 2012.

1. nickman

nickman XS400 New Member

Canada
    First of all, I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce myself to everyone. My name is Nick; I live near Barrie, Ontario, Canada and I really appreciate the breadth of knowledge in these forums. (As this is my first motorcycle, I have been using this forum as a crutch)

Now down to business, while en route to a valve adjustment I happened to round the two intake valve adjustment covers (I was able to get the exhaust ones off). So while looking online I found them for the xs400g ($8/EA) and xs400sg ($16/EA) and I have no clue which model I have.

My bike was built in 1980 and the first three digits of the vin are 3W5; the code stamped on the engine begins with 4T5. It has cast wheels, front disk, rear drum, electric and kick start.

If anyone can shed some light, I would really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch.

2. Welcome to the forum from another Ontario guy.

Sorry I can't help you with those numbers as neither one shows up on my list anywhere. My list is fairly extensive but by no means complete. Here is what I have for 1980 & 1981;

3F8 = 1980 XS400G (XS400 Special 2)
    3F9 = 1980 XS400SG (XS400 Heritage Special)
    4R5 = 1981 XS400H
    4R4 = 1981 XS400SH (XS400 Heritage Special)

The one thing I will comment on though is that I think the VIN number and engine numbers usually match so whatever it is you have has likely had the engine changed out at some time. Is you bike a 1980 model or a 1981 model that was built in 1980?

Post some pictures and maybe someone else can help you out.

buztabuzt likes this.
  3. nickman

nickman XS400 New Member

Canada
    Right now the bike is torn apart (just rebuilt the carbs including new slide diaphragms found here http://jbmindustries.com/Yamaha650.html). I will have it together later this week and will post pics shortly after. Thanks for the quick reply.

4. G and SG valve tapet covers are the same.....G and SG engines are essentially the same.

In fact, the covers on ALL SOHC engnes are the same.

buztabuzt likes this.
  5. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin

^^ what he said^^