Valve adjustment covers

nickman

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
First of all, I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce myself to everyone. My name is Nick; I live near Barrie, Ontario, Canada and I really appreciate the breadth of knowledge in these forums. (As this is my first motorcycle, I have been using this forum as a crutch)

Now down to business, while en route to a valve adjustment I happened to round the two intake valve adjustment covers (I was able to get the exhaust ones off). So while looking online I found them for the xs400g ($8/EA) and xs400sg ($16/EA) and I have no clue which model I have.

My bike was built in 1980 and the first three digits of the vin are 3W5; the code stamped on the engine begins with 4T5. It has cast wheels, front disk, rear drum, electric and kick start.

If anyone can shed some light, I would really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch.

Welcome to the forum from another Ontario guy.

Sorry I can't help you with those numbers as neither one shows up on my list anywhere. My list is fairly extensive but by no means complete. Here is what I have for 1980 & 1981;

3F8 = 1980 XS400G (XS400 Special 2)
3F9 = 1980 XS400SG (XS400 Heritage Special)
4R5 = 1981 XS400H
4R4 = 1981 XS400SH (XS400 Heritage Special)

The one thing I will comment on though is that I think the VIN number and engine numbers usually match so whatever it is you have has likely had the engine changed out at some time. Is you bike a 1980 model or a 1981 model that was built in 1980?

Post some pictures and maybe someone else can help you out.

G and SG valve tapet covers are the same.....G and SG engines are essentially the same.

In fact, the covers on ALL SOHC engnes are the same.

Back