1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Valves and bike identification

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zippo, Feb 6, 2024.

1. Zippo

Zippo XS400 Member

Hello! Im getting mad valve clatter out of my right cylinder. Its not as bad as it once was. I adjusted the valves per the manual but going down the wormhole on the forums I now am wondering what engine I have. The title says 82' and I have adjustable valves so that should mean SOHC right? But it has 6 gears so that would mean DOHC right? Im just having a hard time with valve noises and I want them to calm down. Take a look at the pictures and help me identify.

Attached Files:

2. tstidham

tstidham XS400 Addict Top Contributor

3. Zippo

Zippo XS400 Member

So it is! How can I tell if its a seca or special ect...?

4. tstidham

tstidham XS400 Addict Top Contributor

I'm no expert on our xs400's, but I'm pretty sure all Seca's were dohc. So probably a special.

5. CaptChrome

CaptChrome XS400 Addict Top Contributor

The VIN number will tell you what you have. What is the model code (the three letters/numbers after "JYA" on the VIN sticker, or the first three digits stamped into the head stock)? I have the Yamaha VIN list and can look it up. I really should get that info pulled out and posted up here also.... Someday.

tstidham likes this.