want to install electric start

ob269

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to have electric start and I know I read somewhere of someone installing push button starter on a bike that didn't have it initially. But I can not for the life of me find said article again..
If anyone knows anything on this please let me know..

Well my bike is awfully hard to kick over.. even after it was just running/warmed up if I shut it off/it stalls it take a good 3+(minimal) kicks..

I haven't seen that thread but if you're up to the rewiring etc. as mentioned it will be nice to get an updated thread on the project too.

Test your charging circut,and make sure your bike is tuned up. That will help with the starting.
I wouldnt consider putting a starter on it.

I may keep just the kick start.. we'll see what a tune up does for me. I have new coils, plugs, plug wires, and plug caps to install so we'll see how much that helps..
Anything else I should look into as far as a tune up? (I know oil and filter change, but what kind and weight oil)

Any 20w-50 motorcycle oil for wet clutches. Walmart has it for like $4.80 a quart.

Personally I would just clean and adjust the carbs and swap in a new set of plugs. New points and condensors, oil change etc, and try again. I can start mine with one half assed kick when warm, and two kicks when cold. These bikes start very easy when tuned right...

After the new ignition parts are installed and a proper points gap set, static time it using this method:

Then with the engine running (warm, choke off, idling at 1200 rpm) advance the timing and the idle speed should increase. When it starts to fall a gain, back off the advance a bit and tighten it down. If does not ping (preignition) when you ride, leave it as is. If it doesm back the advance off a little more, but never more than the static timing.

If your carbs are clean and balanced, it should kick right over after this is done, but my bike runs perfectly and usually takes 2 kicks cold, but always 1 warm.

I took the starter motor out of my bobber to save weight and because I was never going to use it. Sometimes it starts first kick cold. Other times it takes a few + a few more, than some aerosol encouragement. I have another set of carbs to clean up and test out, maybe that's my prob. I know one of the 3 xs400s I've had had a heavier and about 2" longer kicker that made the bike kick over with extreme ease. (Almost too easy.) Maybe that could help.

Yeah, i yanked my starter too and have my key, hi/low, fuse and other assorted electrical in its space. Saved about 5-10 lbs too. Synching will be a huge help too along with everything else that was mentioned. Float lever really really helped my too.

Well I no longer need electric start..
My bike needed a pretty good tune up. Needed the timing reset, the valves needed adjusted, and something was up with the points and condensor.
165 in labor, 20 for the state inspection,2.50 for the sticker and then 4 bucks for a gallon of gas(plus taxes) and my bike runs AWESOME!

Back