Weak field from 1980 generator coil

elkriverscott

XS400 Member
Reaction score
In the past I've gotten a magnetic field from the generator field coil and it magnetized anything on the case. Now, if I bypass everything and put good new battery to coil green, it only magnetizes the coil and not the case. Book shows 4 ohms, I show 4.2.
Stator ohms good and equal. Ideas?
Thanks much for reading.

Are you trying to bench test it or is it back on the bike?
I'm sure the apparent magnetic field would be vastly different without the rotor in there.

I'd just be careful getting too deep into tearing things apart without being sure.
The field coil is within specs.
Mine tested out of spec so I took it apart. Chipped the epoxy off, took the leads off... and it still tested out of spec. Total waste of time.

You've erased most of your past threads but didn't the stator test poorly?

Stator test @.8 all three after deducting .6 from meter. Re soldering wires now with bend for case. Figure continuity test during steps to button up. Wanted to rewire anyway. Contact cleaner everything and connectors. Thank you!

You're within allowable tolerance per manual.
SUP, blood? Thank you and thanks again. Got 14 volts. Voltage regulator. Thanks again, you set a good example. I wanted something with just enough power to get me over the river on a freeway bridge. Then, I find a county road and the 400 is perfect.
P.S. Difference between a woman and a battery?
Battery has a positive side!

Back