Westy's little tracker

Most people put the battery under the seat (if they have a hump of some kind, but trackers sometimes don't). I use a small AGM battery, but my bike is a kick start only. This is overkill for kick start, but I want the reliability. By this I mean I could run a much smaller battery.

Airbox:

Avoid emgo pod filters directly on the carbs. If you keep the stock plastic h-pipe they are fine. The best performance will be had if you keep that stock h-pipe. I don't run the pipe, but am considering switching back just to see if I notice a difference.

Jetting:

With pods and any exhaust or just pods or just an exhaust you only need to go up one size on the pilot jet. For the main jets with 2-1 exhaust and pods I think I am only like 2 sizes larger than stock. I have adjustable needles and found the standard original position to work fine.

my bike starts so easy without the kickstart, I would really like to try it without a battery. but i think the lights wont work at idle. will investigate, surely need a capacitor of sorts. you wouldnt have a link to your battery would you?

yep. it doesnt make sense to me to remove the plenum, very few engines run well without one. i will get a piece of 1 7/8 stainless tube to adapt a filter to the plenum.

yeh jetting will be a bitch i am sure. have a custom shop in town that will custom drill jets to get the right mixture.

thanks for your input!

I have replace the clutch springs and plates, thinking the original springs and plates were warped/worn, but it has not changed the action of the clutch at all. it has no feel, it is either on or off, the bite point is quite far out, and has very little room to feather the clutch when taking off. the mechanism that engages the pushrod seems fine, and there is enough free-play to work with in the cable, which is also new.

any ideas?

That is how these clutches are. With heavy duty clutch springs it's a bit better. These are very simple setups and after a while you get use to it.

thanks mate. seems to be a bit better once it warms up. guess its just the charm of an old bike. was hoping for the wife to learn on this but the clutch will be too heavy for her as it is.

i think its running way too rich, so much so that the bowl empties at 80km/h. currently has 117 mains in it, I am going to try 115, 110 and 105. can anyone comment on this? havent had the plugs out yet, i am back at work now, only managed to take it for a shakedown ride after changing some parts.

thanks, will change the bars I think, just chucked on some mx bars I had to get it rolling. I will put some bars with a bit more sweep, will improve the riding position too. should give it more of a "tracker"look.
cant recall the tyres, will get back to you when I am home from work next week.

Sounds good, thanks! Size would also be good too. I'm just getting mine running and it's in need of some new treads. Just in time for winter in my neck of the woods haha

Back