What did you do with your XS today?

Gave it a bath.

Might be the first it has had since it left the dealer lot, considering that it had been in a barn, stuck under raccoon crap and shredded insulation since about 1987. 28 years of grime gone and it looks like a completely different bike.

Good weekend to work on the bike! I checked the valves, synced the carbs, and fixed a squeak from the rear monoshock.

I'll still need to get into the carbs again, and maybe replace some seals and o-rings. When the bike is warm, it idles fine but has a tough time getting from idle (1200) to about 2200 or 2500. After that it's fine (other than a bit of rpm hang, which makes me think it's lean and I've got a leak somewhere that I can't track down).

When I synced the carbs, they were balanced at idle, but started to pull to the left just a bit when the rpms went up to 3k or so. Last time I had the carbs apart I noticed the LH main jet was stock, but the RH was #120 instead of stock #117.5. Air intake and exhaust are stock. Idle mix screws are 3 turns out, although last time I tried, adjusting them didn't seem to make a big difference. Plugs are a bit on the dark side. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20150523_164708 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20150523_164708 (Medium).jpg
    149 KB · Views: 303
Trued my wheels, set them up for tubeless operation, and mounted my tires by hand. Wasn't extremely hard to get the tires on, but trying to seat the bead on a cantilever rear tire is an experience I'd not like to undergo again.

I put a fresh coat of clear laquer on my tank and the side covers.Was going to do the valve adjustment but our lieing weather radar showed moderate rain coming our way.then the rain gets close and it falls apart after getting all the tools together.Typical Port huron weather.Everytime rain gets near it runs into a wall.:banghead:

Good weekend to work on the bike! I checked the valves, synced the carbs, and fixed a squeak from the rear monoshock.

I'll still need to get into the carbs again, and maybe replace some seals and o-rings. When the bike is warm, it idles fine but has a tough time getting from idle (1200) to about 2200 or 2500. After that it's fine (other than a bit of rpm hang, which makes me think it's lean and I've got a leak somewhere that I can't track down).

When I synced the carbs, they were balanced at idle, but started to pull to the left just a bit when the rpms went up to 3k or so. Last time I had the carbs apart I noticed the LH main jet was stock, but the RH was #120 instead of stock #117.5. Air intake and exhaust are stock. Idle mix screws are 3 turns out, although last time I tried, adjusting them didn't seem to make a big difference. Plugs are a bit on the dark side. Any ideas?

You should use a straight vertical stick for mounting the hoses. It make the adjustment more accurate. Also sync the carbs at idle. If the plugs are sooty after idle turn the mix screws in by 1/2 turn increments. Then take the bike out for a good run. Let the bike cool and then check plugs. A lot of idle time will cause sooty plugs.

I adjusted my valves today and then went for a ride ,man does this bike build up rpms quick.I was mazed how easily it was to get up to 9k`s before shifting.I still need to get my carbs synced but they are close.T ook the plugs out and they are nice and tan colored.Now the set back is that I may or may not have a charging problem.

Over the past couple days, I've had the time to reassemble carburetor and airbox assemblies, replace the tank, replace both sprockets and chain, fit new rear shock/springs, clean numerous bolts and clamps, wipe down the frame, replace most of the engine hardware with stainless, change oil/filter, new air filters and carb boots as mentioned earlier, and assess other issues.

photos below.

http://imgur.com/a/jNdEC

Through the process of tearing the bike down and really getting a close look at a lot of the hidden parts, I've come to the realization that this bike is still in pretty good shape considering its age and the fact that I'm the first owner to put some TLC into the bike. The bike does only have around 9000 miles though. There are still a lot of things that I would like to renew such as the swing arm bushings, steering/wheel bearings, rebuild master cylinders, new exhaust, clean and rebuild carbs, and just rebuild the whole darn motor haha!I've also noticed some significant rust in the footpeg areas that will need addressed soon. The bike really just needs a complete tear down and new frame paint, but this is a good first step.

Last edited:
WOOHOO!!!! Scorpio!!! I knew you could do it!!! After we talked I got inspired. Finished walking the little dog & sat around the bike for a while to plan my next custom project. I think I'll make a new set of side covers out of aluminum diamond plate. Build in a couple of elbows to mount my air cleaners just outboard of the side covers. And relocate my ignition switch to one of those covers as well. Oh I did take it out for a little spin too. Thought I'd try the old school way of starting it up. 1 Kick!!!!! Drove it down to a couple near by lakes and around a few twisties. Those old tires gotta go!!!! :yikes: But I'm really starting to like riding this thing.:bike:

When I first read about people taking these bikes near red line I thought crap that's realy pushing the bike hard and the engines are going blow into pieces,Now after experiencing it for myself It doesn't seem so crazy.Before I adjusted my valves the other day it felt like the bike was working hard to get up to 7k rpms.Not any more though.I raced my neighbor on his Harley and left him behind in the dust.Then she died cause of a dead battery and I had to walk it a mile home:yikes::banghead::cussing:So Im not sure whats up with that but I tested the battery and it was at 10volts.So the battery got over charged from the get go and it got toasted.New battery and trickle charged and some more testing to do.

We passed the VIN and on-road vehicle equipment inspections, thus allowing me to hit up the Secretary of State and push the title transfer into my name. To anyone who says it's impossible to get a bike titled when you can't get in touch with the previous owner, I say, "Icky icky icky putang zoop, NEEEEWOM!"

It's not impossible, but you have to be diligent. Surety bond, police inspection, declaration of ownership, a couple tax dollars and a little time at the SOS and there you go.

When I first read about people taking these bikes near red line I thought crap that's realy pushing the bike hard and the engines are going blow into pieces,Now after experiencing it for myself It doesn't seem so crazy.Before I adjusted my valves the other day it felt like the bike was working hard to get up to 7k rpms.Not any more though.I raced my neighbor on his Harley and left him behind in the dust.Then she died cause of a dead battery and I had to walk it a mile home:yikes::banghead::cussing:So Im not sure whats up with that but I tested the battery and it was at 10volts.So the battery got over charged from the get go and it got toasted.New battery and trickle charged and some more testing to do.

Make sure you check & clean ALL of those pesky electrical connections. I had all of mine apart & cleaned them with electrical contact cleaner. Also check those wires that come out around the front sprocket. Looks like there's been a few with trouble in that area. They're in an inhospitable environment with chain oil water dirt & other gritty nasty stuff. May also have some mouse damage.

Started cleaning up the motor on the black one and started pulling parts off to remove the motor on the red parts bike for a rebuild. I've noticed they're two different styles. Not entirely sure why, just an observation

78 XS400 special
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432955273.949659.jpg

78 XS400-2E
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432955334.664241.jpg

78 was the year they went to the more trim round motor. The lower and internal parts are still the same.

I know round block is lighter. It may cool more but with that much more metal it may hold the heat more. They did stop using them for a reason:shrug:

Synced my carbs. Still have a slight lack of power 3000-4500 RPM.

And pulled a wad of silicon off my tank to reveal this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433031698.145729.jpg

It looks like the tank mount was repaired at one time...but maybe not anymore.

Back