1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

What did you do with your XS today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by logan, Feb 20, 2012.

1. pat_man

pat_man XS400 Member

I was wondering why the exhaust hangers didn't line up. Definitely needs a good carb cleaning and tuning.

2. Jeff0133

Jeff0133 XS400 Junkie Top Contributor

Went for a ride with friends.
    One of them had an FZ-09 and wanted to switch bikes for a while so we did...
    Fine bike the FZ, quick,,comfortable fuel injected thing...but...no sound...no soul.
    Was eager to get mine back, I simply love those screaming carbs and my driving position.
    So I guess my next project bike will still be an 80s bike with carbs

3. pat_man

pat_man XS400 Member

Got a new chain and sprocket set today, took about 2hrs to install. It's like riding a new bike. The old chain had ~1.5in of slop. Also installed some flat drag bars on it and adjusted the clutch

4. Vintage_Metal

Vintage_Metal XS400 Member

Rode to coffee, ran out of gas, filled gas tank, installed fuel filter. I think my left carb is already clogged. Bike doesn't want to idle anymore.

5. Vintage_Metal

Left cylinder isn't firing. Didn't want to deal with it so I installed new bars and grips.

6. firebane

firebane XS400 Member

Cleaned out what seemed to be the equivalent of the bikes life of grease and oil from behind the sprocket cover.

Now to move onto plugs, wires, and caps.

7. BBS360

BBS360 XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Set the valve clearances last night only to discover one of the adjusting screws is trash:
    20170830_091829.jpg
    Other one on same side is pitted so I've ordered two replacements.

Hopefully there aren't many metal bits floating around inside....

8. Petew

Petew XS400 True Believer Top Contributor

Ugly....hope you're okay.

9. firebane

firebane XS400 Member

So while riding lately I have what I can only describe as a knock when at certain RPMs and can get louder or more occuring as the bike gets hotter. I figured today I would do a valve check but before I got that far I pulled the plugs and well I think I know what the knock is from...

Time for some air mixture adjustments.

[​IMG]

10. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave XS400 Guru Top Contributor

Try ethanol free premium grade fuel first. Those plugs look rather good to me. The right one in the picture may be slightly lean. But only slightly.

11. firebane

firebane XS400 Member

Plugs are way to white. They need to a nice golden brown and unfortunately I live in Canada and ethanol free gas is not easy to get

12. Lou Ranger

Lou Ranger Former xs400 Luddite Top Contributor

You'd be surprised how much ethanol free gas is available - as long as you're willing to pay for premium (unless you can find an independent who caters to recreational boaters).
    Check out this old thread: http://www.xs400.com/threads/ethanol-free-gas.8153/

All the outlets listed are still reliable suppliers of ethanol-free 91.

13. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend Top Contributor

Plugs look fine to me also. How many miles are on those? The porcelain should be clean and the threaded metal ring should have a bit of carbon on it. There are ways to read the plugs for throttle spot after plug chops. Your type of fuel also plays into this and any mods to the bike. I have five of these bikes and have put on almost 30k miles between them. I would think I know what plugs look like for these bikes;) If your worried about engine temps get a I.R. gun and check the head. I use one and get the same temp for all my bikes within 10-15*f even the modified ones. I see you have a dohc xs, dave know's more than most people about what those should be like. I would listen to his advice.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  14. Vintage_Metal

Soaked and super cleaned the carbs. Full disassembly. Question for y'all...

Left cylinder not firing. I found The left carb missing the little o-ring under the mixture screw. Is that enough to cause a misfire?

15. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend Top Contributor

Yes you need that o-ring.

16. Vintage_Metal

Thanks. It's amazing/annoying how much one little missing piece can mess things up.

17. pat_man

pat_man XS400 Member

Replaced the carb boots with a set from ebay, a little tight getting the carbs back on but I figured it out. Seems to have mostly solved an issue of backfiring whenever letting off the gas. Still need to clean the carbs and adjust the valves, neither of which I've ever done before[​IMG]

Chance likes this.
  18. spectra

spectra XS400 Junkie Top Contributor

Nice looking bike! Horses are not to shabby either........

Cleaning the carbs is pretty easy you should have done it when they were off. And valves just look it up they are not to bad just make sure you have a decent feeler gauge and prepare to bend them a little.......

19. pat_man

pat_man XS400 Member

Its my daily rider and I didn't want to take it off the road right before the weekend. Its been pretty smoky here in the NW so maybe I'll do them this week while conditions aren't great

20. spectra

spectra XS400 Junkie Top Contributor

Tell me about the smoke :laugh2: I am just west of the Gorge and its on fire.................maybe 30 miles from me.