1. The site was moved to a new faster server this morning (9/18/18). Report any problems.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

What did you do with your XS today?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by logan, Feb 20, 2012.

1. NewHavenMike

NewHavenMike 1976 XS360C

XsChris, i was thinking the same thing, but i was worried about one of the exhaust valves being open all Winter and moisture getting in there. I think maybe ill just remove the exhaust and put rags right in the port.. and hang the exhausts.

2. Maxim-umm

Maxim-umm XS400 Addict

I was finally able to get back to the project for a bit. Added fork oil to the SR500 forks I swapped out. Drained old oil and added new stuff with filter and fired it up after repairing the ignitor unit...again. Now that it runs I remembered I need to replace the clutch plates. Once I get that done it'll be on to building a new seat and wire harness to fit the relocated electronics. It's been a very slow and long process, but it's coming together.

3. Fixing the cam, it is/was 180 deg out, now on the hunt for a new cam seal. Anyone know the size?

4. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend

Winnipeg_79_XS400 likes this.
  5. BBS360

BBS360 XS400 Guru

Bought an LED headlight for my 400.
    Was testing it on my 360 last night and broke off my highbeam switch!

Old brittle plastic broke without any force at all.
    No stub even to work with. :(

6. Same happened to me. Do you have an extra switch you can canabalize?

7. hit the starter for the first time in 35 years - got the bike in boxes a year ago - put it back together, restored what i needed to do ,had a few issues along the way and much to my surprise it started !!!! running a little rough but is started - had a quick ride up the street - how bad are the brakes ? restored and rebuilt them but they are terrible - i think this is how they are from memory and i am comparing to modern stuff but they really are terrible - how did we not all end up in ditches in the 70 s

8. BBS360

BBS360 XS400 Guru

I had already arranged to buy a seat/helmet lock from Spectra and he saw my post, found a spare he had, and offered it too.
    Have it now, just going to refurb the switch assembly while it's off.

Also did this today:
    20180408_175400.jpg

Winnipeg_79_XS400 and spectra like this.
  9. Petew

Petew XS400 True Believer

I had a nut come loose on my headlamp mount. To get to the offending fastener I needed to remove the bezel, lense, and reflector/lamp. I removed the bezel screw and the lense stayed put...until I turned around to grab a screwdriver to pry the bezel slightly. then, it flew out of the lamp and shattered into a million pieces. I am pissed because I made the mounting bracket myself and I loved how the lamp sat. Oh well, I guess it's back to the 7" assembly....

10. Riderundead

Riderundead XS400 Member

I got rid of that old leaky petcock. Machined an NPT adaptor plate and installed a new petcock and filter. Much better!

Attached Files:

11. spectra

spectra XS400 Junkie

I took it out of the garage tonight....................was a fun little ride around the area..................

IMG_4839.jpg

12. Riderundead

Riderundead XS400 Member

What type and size of tires are you running? I like the look of those.

13. spectra

spectra XS400 Junkie

I will look at let you know. They are 18s I know that and they are different sizes. I think I got them off amazon.