What did you do with your XS today?

I went out and petted it.
Last night I sat and stared at it and then I pulled off the license plate light to see what size the bulbs were. Cleaned the spark plugs and put on the air box boots in preperation for my pod filters.
Then I petted it again and went to bed.

I had ordered a headlight early Wednesday and got it 2 days later!
New NOS headlight was only $34 total. Tuesday I got MikesXS stuff in the mail. Some of the goodies.

Also got new cam seal, tail lens screws, flasher screws (half of them missing, only get 7), valve adjust cover o-rings, and already had a brand new tail lens cover and a chain guard not on yet.

Carbs:
*rechecked float height to make sure all 4 at just under 26mm.
*Put 137.5 main jets in - the ones I had were 2 sizes larger.
*New PILOT JETS. Still 42.5 but WITH the bleed (?) holes in the sides. Thanks MikesXS!
*Fuel filter from Mikes and thin wall fuel line. Had braided auto fuel line which works just fine but not exactly a pressurized system so saved some weight maybe, haha.
*Re-filtered airbox foam for no reason except had previously flooded with gas when i didn't put petcock vacuum line on. Only 3.50 each anyway.

*New cam seal in, she is a tight one. A circular inner spring? Little oil to help it in but still had to use blunt end of a 1/4 inch ratchet extension to coax and convince it IN. Etch mark to line up points plate in place.

*Crank breather ventilation gasket back in after removing (another story).

*Headlight on. Works great.
*Brand new tail light lens on with new screws. Old lens po cracked through where screws insert. Screws from hardware store don't work, head of screw is too big.

*I wasn't sure the gasket kit valve adjust cover o-rings were quite right so I bought Yamaha. They are identical but put Yamaha in anyway. :shrug:
*Chain guard also on finally.

Eila is Happy :D

Last edited:
Used simple green, carb cleaner and degreaser to removed 30 years of grease and grime from the crankcase.

Stripped the paint on the rear drum using carb cleaner and 80 grit sand paper.

Used my cheap Chinese dremel clone for the first time. I trimmed some broken fins on the oil filter cover.

I was happily doing this at 8pm in my apartment buildings car wash bay when some grumpy old lady came down and started telling me off. :wtf:

:thumbsup:
I had ordered a headlight early Wednesday and got it 2 days later!
New NOS headlight was only $34 total. Tuesday I got MikesXS stuff in the mail. Some of the goodies.

Also got new cam seal, tail lens screws, flasher screws (half of them missing, only get 7), valve adjust cover o-rings, and already had a brand new tail lens cover and a chain guard not on yet.

Carbs:
*rechecked float height to make sure all 4 at just under 26mm.
*Put 137.5 main jets in - the ones I had were 2 sizes larger.
*New PILOT JETS. Still 42.5 but WITH the bleed (?) holes in the sides. Thanks MikesXS!
*Fuel filter from Mikes and thin wall fuel line. Had braided auto fuel line which works just fine but not exactly a pressurized system so saved some weight maybe, haha.
*Re-filtered airbox foam for no reason except had previously flooded with gas when i didn't put petcock vacuum line on. Only 3.50 each anyway.

*New cam seal in, she is a tight one. A circular inner spring? Little oil to help it in but still had to use blunt end of a 1/4 inch ratchet extension to coax and convince it IN. Etch mark to line up points plate in place.

*Crank breather ventilation gasket back in after removing (another story).

*Headlight on. Works great.
*Brand new tail light lens on with new screws. Old lens po cracked through where screws insert. Screws from hardware store don't work, head of screw is too big.

*I wasn't sure the gasket kit valve adjust cover o-rings were quite right so I bought Yamaha. They are identical but put Yamaha in anyway. :shrug:
*Chain guard also on finally.

Eila is Happy :D

Hey Dark, she's really looking 'The Business'...sharp, man!

What did I do with my XS today?

Well, nothing yet...it's Sabbath.

But after sundown, I'll be boxing up the various frame parts from my '78 2E for it's new owner. Turns out he only wanted everything but the motor.

So I will have a complete motor to play with. To rebuild or not to rebuild, etc.?

226dark, that bikes lookin bad ass!

:thumbsup:

Hey Dark, she's really looking 'The Business'...sharp, man!

But does she run?! HAHA. Thanks, that's too kind because throw enough money at it! . . .ha. And a bit of sweat & blood. Hope she returns the love.
They were considered ugly when new and still not appreciated (a good reason to mod them, chop them etc. to be more likeable beautiful). BUT when they look like THIS. . .

. . . IT IS SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL.
I must apologize since I totally ripped off that pic and apologize profusely if that is deemed inappropriate, disrespectul, or even illegal. I won't do it again and it can be removed, but it makes for a good comparison of how hugely much better they can look :thumbsup:
That makes me wish I would have done it RIGHT from the start - having the frame powdercoated, etc.
TODAY WHAT DID I: Took it on 3 short urgently quick, short, fast and hard runs putting 1.5 miles on the clock! Woo hoo! Loving it!! :) :) :) Tach & speedo instr. lights (including high beam blue) do not work.
Also today discovered - during 2nd run- that a rubber "thread protecter" from the hardware store not gonna work out to plug the carb boot barb. Disappeared. And that 2nd run a slight occasional misfire from that. Had one more of those things and it stayed on for the 3rd go.
After the rebuild and first start-up and idling, several days ago, the brand new spark plugs were oil soaked. Today after a 65mph 1/4 mile thrashing and the 1.5 miles total, looking better.

I took my baby out of storage for the first ride of the year: a little fuel and it was running like a beast! It was out of necessity, but it still counts. :D Should've remembered to air up the tires first though, it didn't quite feel normal.

The main part of my next super secret awesome project came in too!

Took the little bizzie out and worked on my chicken strips. Rode this road
http://www.theortegahighway.com/Fun/motorcycleriding.html
sorry to say the chicken strips are in no danger of going away anytime soon. Hahaha
Was fun though.(The double horseshoe was fun as was some of the long sweeps going down into Lake Elsinore. Some spots have a crown on the corner on the older part of the road -"the twisties" ...kinda sketch.)

I worked on cleaning, sanding, and painting the swing arm, brake stay, rear brake pushrod, and a host of little parts. Then I rebuilt my rear shocks with new progressive springs.

Pictures of all this soon...

Gonna be 82F here later today. With the XS on the blocks, guess I'll have to take the XL1200R out! :bike:

prepped speedy for the season, fitted an oil baffle between the alternator and starter/ignition switch.

adjusted the valves and weakened the mix a bit as running rich. started her up and went for a little ride

Attachments

• IMAG0551.jpg
    IMAG0551.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 425
I finally have something to add to this thread.

I drained the winter storage gas (gasoline, Lucas fuel treatment and 2 stroke oil) from the tank, changed the oil and filter, cleaned the sump screen and lubricated the cables and chain. I also checked all of the lights...and found the left rear turn signal out. Unfortunately, it needs a new socket, but I'll fix that later today.

Next up- check the brake fluid, check tire pressure, then clean the whole thing up....and ride.

I got my right side lower frame welded in and am fine tuning the upper so I can make a matched pair. I found another 1980 for 200.00 with 5,000 original miles that has the aluminum rims and disk brakes, so once I strip the Nighthawk in my yard hopefully I'll be bringing home another bike. Be good to have a spare motor lying in wait in case I grenade the one in the bike. Pretty sure I'm not going to be finished by spring like I once thought, but fall is a great time to ride also.

Last 3 days Ive broken out my new parts cleaner, cleaned the outside of my carbs, petcock, clean handful of bolts, sprocket, broke down forks now waiting for seals, prepped the motor for removal and a hose down.

went for a ride out with speedy and cured the oil being whipped out through the new ignition/starter area.

bit cold and did about 60 miles, sounds amazing but I just keep the revs down when passing the police.

Bike show on Sunday :thumbsup:

Back