What did you do with your XS today?

I used a file & dremel to smooth out the dings in the side covers & sent them off to get the vapours. It looked like they had been hit with a hammer in a few spots. Sorry but I forgot to take before pictures but I will post some of the finished items.

Posted via Mobile

Pulled and cleaned the carbs for the third time, and reset the float levels. Installed it back in, added fuel to tank, and its finally running perfect. A mid range bog was there at first but went away after a few miles. Will have to keep an eye on it...

Changed the oil, lubed chain, pulled the gas cap off of it and now I need to figure out what I can do for an alternative as its lock is broken and it doesn't stay closed on the bike. Universals seem to require something in the tank and I can't get a straight answer if universals will just like.. push into place? Or if they required something special..

Also adjusted the rear brake.

Good day for the bike and I :) :)

Got the 79 out today and it fired right up! The new clutch and oil pump work awesome:)

new cam oil seal installed a while ago, but now the timing is off and there is a lot of blow back through the carb. its timed correctly as far as points and crank go. and there is no way it could have jumped the chain. im baffled

I worked on cleaning, sanding, and painting the swing arm, brake stay, rear brake pushrod, and a host of little parts. Then I rebuilt my rear shocks with new progressive springs.

Pictures of all this soon...

Gonna be 82F here later today. With the XS on the blocks, guess I'll have to take the XL1200R out! :bike:

Here are some picks. That gold metal color is a Krylon satin named Nickle. Starting polishing the metal engine covers starting with the sprocket cover. The header pipes show the unpolished (top) and polished with BlueJob (bottom). The swing arm has new bronze bushings (and unlike so many other experience they were a slip fit to install!)The side covers need some more sanding but are almost ready for paint.

Attachments

• DSC_0125.JPG
    DSC_0125.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 369
  • DSC_0138.JPG
    DSC_0138.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC_0137.JPG
    DSC_0137.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC_0136.JPG
    DSC_0136.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC_0134.JPG
    DSC_0134.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 360
  • DSC_0128.JPG
    DSC_0128.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 370
Now that my Civic is fixed, the Nighthawk is stripped, and my wife's Roto Tiller is running I finally got back to the bike. Got my lower frame lined up and welded in. Also welded the rear axle plates to the lower frame. Still have to score an axle that's 1/2 inch longer but the stock one is long enough for mock up.

Attachments

• Side Frame 1.jpg
    Side Frame 1.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 352
  • Rear Frame 1.jpg
    Rear Frame 1.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 361
Here are some picks. That gold metal color is a Krylon satin named Nickle. Starting polishing the metal engine covers starting with the sprocket cover. The header pipes show the unpolished (top) and polished with BlueJob (bottom). The swing arm has new bronze bushings (and unlike so many other experience they were a slip fit to install!)The side covers need some more sanding but are almost ready for paint.

Now the fun part, assembly. I put the rear end back together so I can get the new fender fitted. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• DSC_0153.JPG
    DSC_0153.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC_0152.JPG
    DSC_0152.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC_0151.JPG
    DSC_0151.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 380
  • DSC_0149.JPG
    DSC_0149.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC_0146.JPG
    DSC_0146.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 372
  • DSC_0144.JPG
    DSC_0144.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 356
Took a 150 mile round-trip to pick up some drag bars (seemed like a good excuse for a ride) and put them on under the stars.

gave my bike its first drive.... rust in tank not bad so i placed a oil type gas filter just to be safe... well it clogged up and on way back from 20 mile trip bike was only going 60kph full throttle. anyways thought it was carb float valves when it was new filter not giving out enough flow.

running lean i turned idle screw to much and after parked 20 mins carbs filled i started put in gear and it took off... fell on side or hit oncoming cars.

rides like a lawnmower that turns on a 360 degree angle , stupid bike

What pisses me off i thought buying a 400cc bike would help with insurance... lol 100$ more and i can get a 1100cc racer.

Daily initiative: paint colors chosen - here they are. The tank, fenders, side covers, and light bucket will all be red with some white stripes, and the tank will get knee dents and detail paint.

Got the rear fender mounted. Now on to paint, and then rebuild the front end.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 326
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 318
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 325
Back