What do you guys do with your old gasoline?

sly409

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering what do you do with your old gasoline? I've got about 2 gallons of gasoline thats over a year old that I forgot about after I moved last year. I dont have a lawnmower to throw it in or anything so its just sitting there. Is there anything I could use it for around the house?

A couple of gallons mixed in with 10 or 12 fresh gallons in a car's gas tank is a way to get good use out of it. I wouldn't run it 100% in any small engine like a lawn mower though, especially if it has ethanol in it.
If you don't have a car, ask a friend if he wants a couple of gallons of free gas.

Hmm so its fairly safe to throw it in my car as long as its mixed in with plenty of fresh fuel? It wont mess up anything? last thing I want is for it to ruin my car. I'd be fine with throwing away $10 worth of gas instead of spending hundreds to fix my car if anything were to happen to it.

Well, I don't know what kind of car you have. I wouldn't put it in my Ferrari or my Lambo, but I have had no qualms about putting it in my 12 yr. old GM 3800II or my 13 yr. old Lincoln. I usually take the can with me to the gas station, add the old gas first then fill the tank. Assuming your tank holds at least 10 US gals, I wouldn't worry - unless it's a Lambo.

A couple of gallons mixed in with 10 or 12 fresh gallons in a car's gas tank is a way to get good use out of it. I wouldn't run it 100% in any small engine like a lawn mower though, especially if it has ethanol in it.
If you don't have a car, ask a friend if he wants a couple of gallons of free gas.

NO NO NO I'm still changing fuel filters in my old truck after I tried that!!!! I know it's not epa approved but pour it on weeds and then water them down after a few minutes to avoid the fire hazard it'll kill your weeds and get rid of the gas. Two gallons is a lot you might want to do it in two doses over a couple days.

NO NO NO I'm still changing fuel filters in my old truck after I tried that!!!! I know it's not epa approved but pour it on weeds and then water them down after a few minutes to avoid the fire hazard it'll kill your weeds and get rid of the gas. Two gallons is a lot you might want to do it in two doses over a couple days.

Hmm thats what I'm afraid will happen. Dont wanna have to deal with it gumming up anything. My car isnt new, its a 01 4runner but its still got a lot of life in it and I'm not financially ready to put money into repairs or buy a new car if something were to happen to my current ride.

Does old gas evaporate? Maybe I'll pour some into some old pie tins and let it sit out. In small batches of course, dont wanna come home to a burnt down house lol :laugh:

Not very well and is to dangerous to leave out like that I noticed you're in California so you have to be careful with all the environmental types you might ask at your local checker auto parts they might be able to take it like used oil or just burn it a little at a time and be careful!!!!

Check with you municipality. Our local landfill/transfer station has a recycling depot and a hazardous waste disposal station. It is free and they take most anything including all petroleum products, batteries, paint, chemicals, pesticides, etc., etc. About the only thing they won't accept is medical or radioactive stuff.

yup, I agree with 63 :) hazardous waste disposal station. If you mix old fuel with fresh fuel in your car you might get away with it, but I'd say the 10$ is not worth the risk. IF you're still going to do it, put the old fuel through a filter before putting it in your car, and put it in when you'll be driving a lot so you burn through it quickly.

Or use it when starting a fire. If you burn it all, outside of an engine, all that's left will be water vapor and CO2, which are both just fine. Pouring it on weeds will contaminate your soil for years. Not good. Yea, in the end it will degrade and be eaten up by some kind of bacteria, but that takes a while. That's why it's not allowed to dump fuel. Best way is to take it to hazardous waste disposal.

I use it for cleaning parts till it gets too dirty then I filter it and wash more parts.Then pour it down the fence line so I dont have to weed eat.When I had a firepit It was used for starting bonfires.

A friend of mine has a waste oil furnace. That's where all my old oil/gas goes.

Back