what handle bars should i get?

thlillyr

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
i have an 82 xs400j. my handle bars are basicly sraight accros like a bicycle. this is uncomfortable. it makes me lean forward to much and cause the ouside of my hands to cramp on short rides. i tried nice soft grips but didnt help much. so wwhat kind of handle bars are more comfortable and that dont make me lean so much on the grips.

also do people fit windsheilds to these bikes and where can i get one cheap?

Sounds like you may like the original type bars from a SOHC XS400 of about the same age- they have quite a bit of rise and pullback. There sould be plenty used ones out there.

I bought "European" bars which are low rise and not much pullback from the Motorcycle Superstore. Only cost around $20 and they have many styles.

thats fantastic. great site. but do u know if a windsheikd couls be fitted to the 400 or is that just a bad idea for this bike. i think a smal sport sheild would be cool.

i have one on my standard xs, puig is the manufacturer

8b833f3c.jpg

I'm not certain if the terminology is correct but I call the two O.E. handlebar versions "Sport" and "Touring". I recently replaced the Sport version with the Touring version for the same reason. Many folks take off the Touring version because they want the Sport Bike look so there should be plenty around.

Wow drewpy, OliverB, AND HoughMade all commenting on the same day!!? Its my lucky day!! Drewpy how effective is that windshield. Looks like it made to take the wind off your Chest. HoughMade Thats the shape i had in mind. About 2-3 inches taller and the handles swept back a little bit. Do you have a good pic of your bars?. OliverB. Thats a great tip. I bet the "touring" would be just what I need. I like the sport look but not at the cost of carpal tunnel.

I've got some 3" rise super sport bars that I love, but I'm a smaller guy and it's not that much of a lean to get to 'em. Comfortable on long rides and all...

0c68281e.jpg

Drewpy,that's a beaut,very nice example of restoration and has nice lines.I wanted to do that with my seca,but the tank was too far gone. lha

So here some pictures of my current handle bars. I believe these are like atv or motocross style. That and they are painted a nasty gray. Below are some links of bars I'm considering. My priority is comfort, then control, lastly looks.

European style http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/15395/ITEM/Bikemaster-European-Handlebar.aspx

GP Touring Style http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/15393/ITEM/Bikemaster-GP-Touring-Handlebar.aspx

full

full

full
That's just about a twin to my bike when I bought it,but yours is in better condition than mine was.Looks good for it's age. lha

I Ordered the GP touring handle bars from Motorcycle superstore. 19$ even if i don't like them its almost like i got them for free. I played with my curent handle bars by rotating them towards me a little. Feels much better on my wrist but now I sit like a hunch back to reach them. I should have the new handle bars installed this thursday. I'll upload pics then. Any body think I should make a picture tutorial with my install?

Thanks LHA. It only had 14k on it when i found it a few months ago. I have no idea how many owners its had but i suspect its been around a bit. It's been laid down on both sides with some nasty scratches. For some insane reason it was painted a nasty blue with an awful pink racing strip. Still working on restoring it but i love this thing best bike i've ever ridden.

Drewpy,that's a beaut,very nice example of restoration and has nice lines.I wanted to do that with my seca,but the tank was too far gone. lha

cheers, should be getting the photos of the tracker this saturday, weather permitting! :bike:

Well apparently you need to readjust the throttle cable when you change handle bars. it tends to be stuck wide open when you start your bike.

Back