1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

What kind of grease do you use for the axles and such?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Johnny3D, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Johnny3D

Johnny3D XS400 Enthusiast

I'm in the process of cleaning and fixing up my 1980 XS400 and I'm just curious if you guys know of a particular type of grease that is considered "best" to use for the axles and/or for other parts?

2. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

I use lucas red "N" tacky. Works great. DSC03121.JPG

3. Sesty

Sesty H.E. Pennypacker

any issues with the shelf life of red and tacky? i had a tube a while back and it separated after sitting in the garage for a few months

4. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

LM2 grease; bearings
    mobbydick (grey stuff) ones for bushes
    copper for fasteners
    red rubber for condoms and other rubbers like panel rubbers

Johnny3D likes this.
  5. Johnny3D

Johnny3D XS400 Enthusiast

Cool. Good to know. I have a can of Valvoline Multi-Purpose grease that is supposed to be good for all sorts of things (including Japanese vehicles), but I wondered if there was something specific I should use. Sounds like as long as it's a decent grease, it'll be fine.

6. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

I have been using the same tube for about 3 yrs now with no issues. The stuff that is in my gun seems fine to. On hot days in the garage 95+ temps I do see a drip or two come out of the gun, but there was still a bit of the old valvoline greese in there from about 5yrs ago. So not sure if it was some of that.