What size screws for carbs?

unitedhow

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi I am going to need to take apart my carbs again and I promised myself that if I did I would replace all the screws (some are stripped) on the body of the carb with stainless steel socket head (Allen) screws does anyone know what sizes and how many of each to redo a set of 1980 xs400g bs34s? I saw a picture once that listed all the sizes but of course now that I need it I can't find it. Thanks.

They are M5 bolts with a 1.25 pitch I believe. The 80-84 xs650 uses the same ones as the xs400 so you can look for those kits because there are a lot more people selling them.

If you look at the parts fiche for your bike you can probably decode the part numbers for every bolt to find the size. Most Yamaha bolt part numbers indicate diameter followed by length.

I just did the same thing for my carbs. Bought a kit from this website: http://carb-motor-screw-kit.com/contents/en-us/d170.html
Been meaning to put a review up on here.
There aren't too many kits available for carbs so finding it was nice.
They're stainless and include all the washers necessary.
Not polished.
I didn't realize before ordering mine that it did not include screws for the choke assemblies. Not an issue for me.

I replaced the ones on my carb with generic M5 stainless allen screws (hex socket). I think they look good and they are easier to get to with a ball end allen wrench than with a screwdriver.

The float bowls are M5x0.80x15mm with lock washers. 8 ea
The diaphragm covers are M5x0.80x12mm with no washers I believe. 8 ea
I forget all the other ones but they are standard screws as well. With a caliper you can measure the diameter of the screw. And with a metric thread gauge you can find the pitch.

I just did the same thing for my carbs. Bought a kit from this website: http://carb-motor-screw-kit.com/contents/en-us/d170.html
Been meaning to put a review up on here.
There aren't too many kits available for carbs so finding it was nice.
They're stainless and include all the washers necessary.
Not polished.
I didn't realize before ordering mine that it did not include screws for the choke assemblies. Not an issue for me.

Sorry for reviving an older thread!
Did you order the XS 400 1977-1983 Kit #1 carburetors kit and did that come with enough screws to do both carbs? I am a little unclear from the description on the site.

The website isn't too clear is it.
I have an XS360 rather than a 400. Its listing directed me to the kit "XS 250 1977-1984 Kit #1 carburetors".

That page and the XS400 page both list 45 parts and link to the same parts listing though.

I just double-checked my carbs. The only screws that the kit did not include are the ones for the choke plunger assemblies. Three screws each.

Back