Where to buy petcock diaphragm spacer? Possible to frabricate one?

sly409

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I've been looking high and low for that little plastic diaphragm spacer on various websites and no one seems to sell one. All the rebuild kits states specifically that part isnt included :confused:. My petcock didnt have one installed which is probably one of the reasons for it leaking. The PO gave me an extra that came in a box with various parts but that also didnt have one!:banghead: I guess one of the previous PO's lost them and the ones afterwards didnt know it was suppose to have one. Anyways, it seems that I would have to buy an entire petcock to get one of those spacers again and I didnt want to spend the money on that. Does anyone know if its possible to fabricate one out of something? I guess I would need a picture of what it looks like and some measurements too. Thanks everyone!

I have a 79 xs400f.

I've been looking high and low for that little plastic diaphragm spacer ...
One thought would be to go to a bike graveyard and see if you could buy one cheap.
Before doing that, and subject to seeing what it looked like first, I would try forming a substitute using a silicone gasket maker.
If the spacer is simply like a washer, then I would think one could carefully run a bead around one surface and then press the other one down until the uncured gasket material was as thick as the missing plastic spacer.
Then leave it alone and, after 24 hrs of curing, I would think you could tighten it down and have it perform the same function. :shrug:

Worst cast scenario, you will have an almost full tube of gasket maker in your shop. :thumbsup:

Hey sly Im unable to help you like I first thought.I made 50 mile round trip drive to find the dam boneyard is closed.Im not making that drive again.Sorry about that.Im tired tired of chasing down this bolt is obsolete so I took it to machine shop and having one made.You might try looking on ebay or go to a local machine shop and have that piece made for you.

Per the parts diagram the SOHC and DOHC petcocks are different. However, this might not mean much, since that refers to the petcock body. The spacer is not listed as a separate part and different bodies might use the same one.

I have one if anyone needs one its for a sohc model not sure if it will work on a dohc bike. $12 shipped paypal only:)

Attachments

• DSC01989.jpg
    DSC01989.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC01990.jpg
    DSC01990.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 162
Back