Which oil?

01ps

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
What do you run in your bike for oil? The manual calls for 20w40 and 10w30. Can regular automotive engine oil be used? Or does it have to be 4 stroke motorcycle oil for the sake of the clutch?

Really bikerbob? Diesel oil? I run regular automotive 20w 50 in mine and not had any problems, thus far. I could be wrong so don't take my lead.

I wouldn't worry that much to change the oil early,just get a gallon and be ready next time.I use 15w40 in all my vehicles,because they're all older,except my Wife's Explorer,which requires 5w30,so I use that on that.I have a '41 ford tractor,and it does very well on 15w40.winter and summer. lha

Rotella is also a cheaper alternative to purchasing specified bike oil and I've never had a problem with it

The best oil is clean oil and Rotella is inexpensive enough it can be changed often. Had a lot of little oil seeps when using synthetic oil, been told it has a smaller molecule and therefore seeps out easier.

Modern synthetics don't vary appreciably in swell characteristics unless it was a different, lighter weight.

I use standard 20w50 motorcycle oil in the xs400; whatever is cheapest.
I use mobil1 racing 4t in my gsxr 750.

Synthetic oil will cause your clutch to slip,as it's slippery,and if used may not flush out of the linings,rendering the clutch slippery.I would use a motorcycle oil,or if you're like me,I like to say sensible,but others may say cheap,but I buy oil about 5 gallons at a time and use the same thing in everything.15-w-40 is a good all-round oil as I have been using the same oil about 10 years,and have seen no bad results and when I set the valve lash on my Nissan Hardbody truck,I Plastigauge the cam bearings,and have seen no wear.Also,the cylinders are very clean, and no wear ridge at the top after 185,000 miles. Oil made for diesel motors has a greater amount of ZDDP,a zinc additive for metal-to -metal friction,but is good for wet clutches. lha

Hmm, this is really good to know. My 5 cents is that we are Engen oil agents at the car dealership where i work and we use a 15w40 motor oil which is rated for mixed fleet use which means that it can safely be used in petrol (gas) motors and diesel motors. This oil has a CH4/SL grading so i'll be trying it out in my Seca one of these days :) Also, check out this page if you're interested in oil as much as I am (I hope that it's not off topic!): http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html#

Always a hot topic! Most any oil today will have some synthetics in it. I have always been a fan of frequent oil changes - Change it hot and change it often. In all four of my cars and both cycles I use old fashion Dino based oils. Age of the vehicles ranges from 1977 to 2004, with the newest being a Mazda RX8. My two old Mercedes gas engine cars and the two Yamahas use 15W40 because of the increased amount of ZDDP in that oil. One car has 124K and the other 157K and have used 15W40 since nearly new.

Many folks use full synthetic oils because they believe it will reduce wear and make the engine run forever. However, they rarely keep the car that long! Others like the extended oil change intervals touted for synthetics. Even with synthetic oil, I would change more frequently than some call for. When is the last time you heard of an engine failing because Dino oil was used instead of synthetic! Yes, I know that many new engines are built for synthetic oils today but I don't have those engines in my cars so I will stick with what is tried and true. Any good name brand Dino oil is far better than it was a few decades ago.

the tolerances for modern engines demand you use a viscodity as low as 0w - 5w, can't get that with mineral oil!

Agreed but we are not talking about modern engines here. For our '04 RX8, Mazda specifically recommended against synthetic. For the Mercedes gas engines, Benz recommended 15W40. And for our XS400s, higher vis. is better.

I bought 2 quarts of Mobil One V-twin 20w-50 to use after the break in. Supposed to be designed for wet clutches, trannies, etc. At $10.50 a quart I won't be changing it often as I don't put many miles on. Seems like the extra protection can't hurt. Us old geezers have a few extra bucks anyway, might as well spend it before Social Security goes broke.

You're not supposed to use synthetic in rotary engines; it's definitely a good thing you don't put it in the rx-8 :)

Back