Which parts should I use between my two complete bikes for my project?

SpikeG

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Spike, new to the forums but I've been lurking for a month or two watching all your killer builds. Marine mechanic by trade but this will be my first complete bike build. You guys have already helped me immensely so I figured it was time to join up and participate. Before I start with any questions, is there a recommended list of engine mods or upgrades to fix any common factory issues (aside from the tech section)? On the Suzuki forum I'm on, they suggest things like non-vacuum petcock, slightly larger jets than factory, ect to get it running correctly but I suppose its more bike dependent here.

Which brings me to my real point! I recently picked up two xs400's for a very good deal. a 78' E, and I believe an 81' special. the 78 was running (poorly, cracked cases, oil leaking everywhere and metal bits in the oil) with a clean title and 28,000 miles, the 81 special has no title and hasn't run since 94 but has 4,000 miles and aside from some patina, everything seems to be in pretty good shape. Since the 81 is lower miles and non points, I plan on going through that engine and swapping it into the 78 frame.

I noticed some slight differences in the carbs and was wondering if they're interchangeable? they look almost identical except the drain screws and some tiny differences but I haven't taken them apart yet and was wondering if either set had an advantage or if I should keep them motor-specific.

I'll also be swapping the wire wheels/drums on to the titled frame, is there anything I should be looking for here as well? I plan on using just the fork lowers from the drum setup as there is a little pitting on those uppers, I assume they're both 33mm!

Last question for now... The only intact exhaust looks to be a Mac 2 to 1, is this considered an upgrade? or should I consider getting a muffler shop to re-weld the mufflers to the original headers?

If I've missed/overlooked anything, let me know! I'm here to learn and I've seen so much good information around. Thanks for your time and effort, it wont go unappreciated.

...and who doesn't like pics!?

Cool find.

Carbs are interchangeable.
Some people like the Mac exhaust. There are older posts from people that have done the change.
Not a performance upgrade. Probably on par with stock, or slightly down in performance. The 180 degree crankshaft engines aren't really ideal for 2-1 exhausts.

Finally, you're choosing drum brakes over disks?!?!?!???
I'd ask for the disk rear parts for my bike if you were closer. :)

Welcome.

Performance wise, theres not much available for these engines but to keep them well maintained.. You can upgrade the suspension and upgrade the fork bearings and swingarm bushings for a tighter chassis.

Im not positive on this, but I think the 78 will have a better camshaft profile..? someone else will chime in on that.

Jetting the cabs largely depends on what else is done to the bike along the intake/exhaust tract. You can find carbs from an earlier XS360 and that will be a performance upgrade.

Do yourself a favor and replace the brake lines on the bike you end up using, no matter how good you think the lines look. This will save your life.

Personally, I am particular to matching engine/frame numbers. So I wouldn't swap engines out. Where I live, the 78 would be easier to register simply because you need a title for pre 1981 bikes.. Not sure if that's a problem where you live, but up here it would be a big hassle that I don't want to deal with. Our DMV is

If you decide to do anything exhaust -wise I would be interested in the 2-1 headers at very least! The carbs should be interchangeable I had a set from a 77 on my 80 and it ran fine. Keep and clean/overhaul both. You won't be sorry! Good luck, it looks like you have some good stuff to start with!

Thanks for the help guys!

BBS360, i'm going drums for simplicity, weight, and ascetics really. Both master cyls need to be rebuilt/repaired, cracked tanks, lines and calipers need to be replaced/rebuilt and those mag wheels are heavy!

Mike, I also used to live in New Haven! went to SCSU! Down in SC the frame is the only thing titled and i've only got the title for the 78' and the motor is pretty well shot, needs pistons, valves, covers, transmissions messed up and some more. swapping the 81' engine in would save me loads of work and give me electronic ignition. I'll keep the original motor for the next owner/ if I decide to fully restore. The steering bearings are indexed and rough so I've got needle bearings on the way for it!

As far as brake lines for the drums, i'm having a hard time sourcing these. I'll be going the cafe route so if i could find shorter cables that would be ideal. Not opposed to making them but the tutorials here seem to be a dead link and i don't have a solder pot, just a lead soldering iron.

Pete, I'll let you know what I decide on the exhaust!

Do you have an idea of length you need? I can check one of mine. I have a couple to choose from

Oh yea?! I remember some good times at Southern.. Fitch and Flop house from my younger days... I live about 10 minutes away in Bethany now. Im not too sure about the factory electronic ignitions.. Seems like a bunch of them fail and then youre stuck taking a chance on a used $50 one. If I knew about making circuits and repairing them, Id be more inclined. Plus, when they fail, that's it.. I went back to points on my bike and its ok.. They just work and they are cheap easy replacement. As far as a brake cable, you might have to make your own, or have someone do it for you. this is why discs may be a better option. You might be able to find a another Yamaha with a front drum that is smaller. Like a yz80 or pw80 or some other smaller bike.

Back