1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

White Wall tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Leviathan, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Leviathan

Leviathan XS400 Member

I want to put white wall tires on my bike. It is a 1981 xs400 with mag wheels. Front wheel has J 18 x MT1.85 written on it and the rear wheel has J 16 x MT2.5 written on it. I have not been able to find any tires to fit that are white walls. Anyone know where to look? It looks like I should have a 90/90-18 on front and a 120/90-16 on the rear according to the maintenance manual.

2. amc49

amc49 XS400 Enthusiast

Those tires are typically bigger body tires that run in sizes around 120 and larger, unlikely to find one as small as your front is. The tires also generally have very narrow tire tread that borders on straight lines and the front can be a handful on rain grooved pavement as a result. Lots of complaints over the front end drifting around and that being on generally heavier bikes. Making that a warning to you as well.