Will this battery fit my '82 Maxim?

GenusHomo

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time buying a motorcycle battery and blown away by the multitude of choices. I like the idea of a gel battery, will this fit my Maxim?

http://www.amazon.com/TMS-Motorcycl...F8&qid=1380830572&sr=8-3&keywords=YTX9-BS+AGM

I measured myself with the airbox off the bike, so I can't tell if it will or not. Since it's a electric start only bike I'm mostly concerned about the lack of CCA info.

Also, would this one fit and crank it over properly?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200970512434?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

I think #1 is the wrong shape and dimensions for the Maxim battery compartment. My battery is 3" deep x 5.25" wide x 6.25" high. It's a reasonably tight fit so 6" will be too long and, even if you could lengthen the cavity, at 3.35" deep, your holder and cover won't go back on.

#2 looks to be the right shape (though there are no dimensions to confirm size). As I recall, though, the model number shown is what the bike calls for. I'll see if I can look it up for you.

Thanks, I can't find the exact dimensions anywhere, but the Yuasa looks to be an identical/oem fit.

Was hoping to get a gel battery at a super cheap price, but if it's too big oh well.

Original battery spec was for a 12N 12A-4A, so it sounds like the Yuasa will fit.

The ad says it's used though - can you be sure it's good?
I guess at such a cheap price you can afford to gamble. Those batteries new up here are $70 :yikes:

It still has the top warning seal and it seems to not have any battery acid in it yet. I made an offer for $19, I'll see if it works out.

I assume someone bought it and didn't know they had to buy battery acid as well. Here's hoping they take my offer!

Shipping a Lead Acid battery that is filled will cost more than you'd imagine - it is considered hazardous materials because the acid can spill.

Be sure to get a 12AH (or better) battery that is the same length and width to fit the battery box. You can get one that is shorter, but not higher. The dimensions are 5-5/16 in. L x 3-3/16 in. W x 6-5/16 in. H. Expect to pay around $50 for a new one. Gel or AGM batteries will be more. When comparing similar Lead Acid batteries, the heavier the battery, the better.

I got a shitty-brand lead acid battery from an online shop a few months back for like 45 euros plus shipping. A month later it was broken and I had to send it back, so emptied out the acid into a big glass jar and shipped the battery back to get my money back. Then I went to my local bike shop and bought a yuasa for 40 euros :doh: works perfectly

so my top tip: see if you can get it at a shop :)

Willem, you are ahead of the curve.

What a novel concept: Shop locally for a superior product at a cheaper price and help keep a neighbour employed.
Who would have thought that someone could come up with something to replace internet shopping? . :wink2:

I'll check parts stores, but the motorcycle shops around here are upscale and have absurd prices for everything. I'll definitely get the acid locally though.

The seller of that Yuasa on Ebay said it's still sealed and never been filled with acid, still no word on my offer though.

Oh and thanks everybody for your input, it's much appreciated.

Back