1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Wiring diagrams wrong

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Gra900, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Gra900

Gra900 XS400 Enthusiast

A8EDD5FF-112F-4E31-AE55-82F22296DE33.jpeg just rewiring my 82 400SE, 4G5. The Haynes manual shows the black lead from the rectifier connected to one of the white stator leads. See photo.
    This is surely wrong, but it would be nice to know for sure so. 3 white to 3 white, red to batt and black to ground is surely the way to go.
    I’ve spent not a little time hunting round the forum, and also found a 400F with an “error”. Black from rectifier goes nowhere, See pic too, Or is it?

Gra

Attached Files:

2. BBS360

BBS360 XS400 Guru Top Contributor

It's an oversight. The rectifier black should go to the common black wire that runs through the harness and grounds to the frame.

3. Gra900

Gra900 XS400 Enthusiast

Hi BB, yeah thought as much. Got the crispers out tonight. Wiring sure is a slow process

4. Gra900

Gra900 XS400 Enthusiast

So I’ve just rewired the charging circuit, and the red from the rectifier is connected to the red from main fuse to main switch like the wiring diagram says (400SE, 4G5) This means the the battery is always connected via the rectifier to ground even when key is out. I’m getting a 0.01 amp leakagefrom my battery +ve to earth now. That doesn’t seem right, I would think the rectifier red should go to the brown after the main switch. Any thoughts

5. BBS360

BBS360 XS400 Guru Top Contributor

The rectifier doesn't, or shouldn't, conduct from red to black under normal conditions.
    Could be shorted internally or something completely different could be leaking to ground.