Wiring New Headlight Switch

hjennings

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Greetings!

I recently purchased new handlebar switches from MikesXS. They have arrived and look great. The right hand switch installation was simple. The left hand switch, not so much. I have blinkers and a horn, but no headlight.

I have a 1981 XS400. The original light switch had 6-wires coming out into a plug that plugged into the harness and three loose wires. The three loose wires ran to the headlight high/low beam switch. One was constant and the other two were for high and low.

The new switch also had a 6-wire plug, but it was the opposite type for my harness (male/female). I spliced on the the original plug, placing the wires from the new switch in the same order they were in on plug. I then ran continuity tests on the loose wires and found one that was constant, one for the high beam, and one for the low beam.

I hooked everything up like that and no headlight. At that time I didn't have blinkers installed. I switched the wires around in the plug so that the switch wires matched the harness wires (in the layout they came in, some in the plug didn't match up at all, so I used some of the loose wires to connect to the plug this time).

Horn works fine. I installed back blinkers.... I used LED blinkers so the don't blink yet (I need to install a resister). Both blinkers seem to come on at the same time, but that may be an issue with no resisters and no front blinkers installed yet. Front and rear blinker wires seem to test fine using a test light.

So it appears my only real issue is the headlight. Anyone by chance have any wiring diagrams to show how to match up the new switch with my wiring harness? Or can walk me through it?!

Much appreciated!

Harry :bike:

Attachments

• XS400a.jpg
    XS400a.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 522
  • XS400b.jpg
    XS400b.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 486
  • XS400c.jpg
    XS400c.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 482
  • XS400d.jpg
    XS400d.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 519
Are you doing this with the bike running? There is a relay that prevents the headlight from turning on until the bike is running. Not sure if it is on all models or not, but that could be your problem.

As for the blinkers, it may be worthwhile to just replace the old relay with a new one meant for LED's, superbrightleds.com sell it.

Nope, not running. I was not aware the headlight wouldn't turn on unless it is running. If so, then that may very well be the problem!

Thanks for the heads up on the LED relay, as well!

:D

\As for the blinkers, it may be worthwhile to just replace the old relay with a new one meant for LED's, superbrightleds.com sell it.

Do you by chance know which relay to use? My stock relay is a 3-pin relay labeled C, L, and B. I shot them an email and the response I got back was they *think* the 2-pin CF12ANL-01 would work. I would have assumed I needed a 3-pin replacement.

Let me know if you by chance know which one to use.

Thanks!

if you are using LED blinkers up front i think you will have to add diodes to keep the lights from flashing at the same time.

there are a few threads on adding the diodes

Your one indicator bulb in the dash is why all the turns light up. In the stock set up the dash bulb was hooked to the hot on both sides. Power from one side went through the dash bulb and grounded through the bulb on the other side. The resistance in the other bulb was enough so just the dash bulb lit. The LED's don't have enough resistance to light the dash bulb.
The diode kit, or just pick a couple up at Radio Shack. D4001's, installed inline with the turns and one side of the dash light. Easy to do. Hook the power wire from each side to
one of the diodes the end with the white stripe. Hook the other ends together and hook them to one lead of the dash bulb. Ground the other lead. The diodes are one way valves, they let the power flow from one side and not flow to the other.
Leo
Leo

Back