Wiring the M-unit Blue

Timothy Kelly

check_kelly
Reaction score
I bought a non-running ‘81 XS400 last year and I’m in the process of getting it running.
The build started out as a budget job, replacing a few things that needed replacing (battery, fuel line, rear tyre) and getting it on the road. Eventually, I accepted that I was going to be revamping and customizing the whole bike.
I knew I wanted to use an M-unit Blue in the build, mainly for its ease of useand accessibility. Re-wiring doesn’t bother me too much, but my understanding of electrical theory is limited.

Has anyone re-wired an XS with an M-unit Blue? It has an Ignition Output wire that I’m not sure how to incorporate into my wiring loom.

There are two wires coming from the starter solenoid, a blue and white (L/W) and a red and white (R/W). The L/W goes to the Start Output on the M-unit. I assume the R/W is switched power as the wiring diagram shows it being connected to the R/W going from the Igniter to the coils (when I originally had them connected the engine would turn over when I pressed the starter). Since the Ignition Output is supposed to provide the switched power I chose to replace the R/W from the starter with it. I spliced it into the power wire (Red/White) that runs from the igniter unit to the ignition coils. However, when I press the Starter button nothing happens.

Apart from the wiring, everything else has gone relatively smoothly. Any help or advice is appreciated. I’m posting a photo of the current wiring situation and the XS models wiring diagram.

E2F9E001-39CD-4D8E-A43C-00949C041D1B.jpeg
FFD23E0B-C22F-4465-98D6-3ED12FC9CB51.jpeg

Attachments

• F9DF14FC-765D-4187-8C8C-10A5F8984902.jpeg
    F9DF14FC-765D-4187-8C8C-10A5F8984902.jpeg
    476.1 KB · Views: 399
  • EC2836CB-7C87-4E07-B606-9CAA4FC40507.jpeg
    EC2836CB-7C87-4E07-B606-9CAA4FC40507.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 459
  • 83A3AB5D-AEF4-4EE7-BBA7-BDCC5F65B1D0.jpeg
    83A3AB5D-AEF4-4EE7-BBA7-BDCC5F65B1D0.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 407
Hi, did you find the solution. I've got the same issue with my xs750. In my point of view blue/white wire has to be on the ground and red/white has to be connected on output start hole. But nothing happen too. I suppose that red/white has to be on ignition output hole and start output hole. What do you think?

I did draw up a schematic for someone here a while ago, but haven't actually used an M-Unit myself. Forget if it was a Blue or not.

Seems mostly ok at first glance.
Make sure the condenser is well grounded to frame.
The big ground post on the M-Unit needs to go to the frame.
I feel like something is wrong with the key switch. Doesn't the M-Unit have a key switch input? The regulator shouldn't be switched.
Also the red from the regulator should go directly (through a fuse) to the battery positive terminal.

Can't read some of the smaller text in the image.
I'm assuming you are adding wiring for the handlebar controls? Or is that being done with the

I did draw up a schematic for someone here a while ago, but haven't actually used an M-Unit myself. Forget if it was a Blue or not.

Seems mostly ok at first glance.
Make sure the condenser is well grounded to frame.
The big ground post on the M-Unit needs to go to the frame.
I feel like something is wrong with the key switch. Doesn't the M-Unit have a key switch input? The regulator shouldn't be switched.
Also the red from the regulator should go directly (through a fuse) to the battery positive terminal.

Can't read some of the smaller text in the image.
I'm assuming you are adding wiring for the handlebar controls? Or is that being done with the

For the Key and the R/R red wire i based it off the diagrams that came with the m-unit. Based on the original wiring diagram I was compelled to do what you recommended but wanted to try this first and would change if something went off. Ill upload a PDF to make it easier to read

Attachments

• XS400 Wiring 2020NOV19.pdf
    893 KB · Views: 350
Back