Worth $2k? Should I buy? RUST?!

What do you think? Worth 2K? Should I buy?

• Yep

• Be Wary!

• Nope

Results are only viewable after voting.

Monowakari

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First post and new to the world of motorcycling. I've dabbled in my youth and now I want my own.
01111_7TZ8ifQvcY0_600x450.jpg

I can afford this bike and am really interested in it, there's slim picking right now around where I am.
01515_7M5l2E6sjSv_600x450.jpg

Is 2k Canadian worthwhile for this bike? Would you pay $1550 USD for it in my situation?
00000_gKrDknybLfM_600x450.jpg

http://victoria.craigslist.ca/mcy/5543866437.html (more pics)

Only concerned about putting on a better seat for my gf to ride pillion (later on) and the rust on the tank. Despite it being on purpose...will it get worse over time? I live surrounded by ocean and humid, salty air. Bikes seem to fair alright in general but purposeful rust seems...Aesthetically pleasing if you're into it, I think it looks bad-erss, but practically speaking... thoughts?

Also the engine case seems rather dirty, you think it's another aesthetic thing or beat up..?

Anyway, I am mechanically inclined and have a decent set of tools, no garage but a place to work on it (no overnights though), parked on street (away from the ocean) and am eager to get a bike but can wait for the right deal.

Cheers

I picked up my stock XS for $600 CAD. At $2000 you're paying for the time and creativity the seller has put into the bike to customize it...
You said picking is thin, so maybe that is a good deal - especially if the bike is perfect for you and you wouldn't change a thing - but if you want to customize it yourself it may be an extraneous expense.

From the pics I think the bike looks pretty good. But I don't think I would go over $1500CAD.

Needless to say, give the thing a test drive and let the bike to the talking.

Here's another shot:
12295247_990021294388044_4668272258849804638_n.jpg

Not my bike or my photo.

Around Victoria that's not a horrible price. Compare to this at $2400:
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/78-XS400_27482227
And this at $2600:
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/1981-Yamaha-XS400-Cafe_27459390

They are all overpriced but that's the supply and demand around here. Plus people always try to recoup the time and money spent on modifications.

The two bikes on usedvic are in better condition but both have had the rear section of the frame chopped up so you might have a difficult time mounting a 2-up seat.
The craigslist bike appears to have the frame intact so you can probably still mount a stock 2-up seat or at least have a stock frame to start modifications from rather than modifying someone else's modifications.

He apparently has the original mufflers. That's good. You'll want to put them back on if they're in decent condition.

If I really wanted a vintage bike to ride around this season I'd spend close to that much. My '82 was $750 not running, plus the ferry trip to get it from vancouver, plus some unforeseen costs to get it registered, plus over $750 in parts and labour... but I enjoy working on the bike.

Try to get the craigslist guy down in price if you can. He's leaving town and might have a deadline.

Lots of hipsters, yuppies, retirees, and people with too much money, plus it's an island.
Prices get driven up. Anything reasonably priced gets snapped up within 24 hrs of being listed.

Almost got my hands on a non-running but 100% stock '78 xs400 for 250 CAD. Was actually told it was mine but it got sold to someone else....
That was the cheapest I've seen here. My 360 was $350 not running.

Im a year-round college student due to double majoring and so very limited in range for my search (day trip or less) - essentially Island only save the odd Vancouver overnighter. Might get sold before I even get there so it's risky (expensive) business taking away bike funds to ferry over with my buddy's truck or risk riding it home. Just too many factors lol.

Im patient at least...sigh..:shrug:

There's not much selection due to the season really just opening and like BBS360 said, hipsters and yuppies abound in Victoria.
Gosh I sure hope no thinks that way of me for liking the XS400's and ilk :thumbsup:

Im on the sales sites 24/7 and would drop classes in a New York minute to go check out the right ride if I found one.

I love the old styling and dont need custom work like buddy has done on the ad I posted. And I have tools enough for repairs and whatnot but am hoping to find something running and in better than half-decent shape - seemingly that's minimum $1500 in these here parts.

I cant do any major mods because I don't have a shop to strip 'n' rip sh*t down overnight (quiet street parking only) or in any long-term fashion... The hunting continues, buddy still hasn't gotten back so I'm wondering if he hasn't already left..:shootme:

Withal, lots of feedback from the community, thanks fellas.

[Edit to add:] How about the *relatively* low kms @ 16k? all the one's in ontario worth <$1000 have +30k...

Last edited:
If you haven't already, make sure to setup some automatic notifications on Craigslist and usedvic for any model bikes you're interested in.
I had them setup for xs360s and xs400s and would get an email as soon as anything new was listed.

Back