Would you do it again?

spectra

XS400 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for project number two since the wife has laid claim to the 400........my question for everyone would you get another 400 or go bigger ? The 650 was on my short list when I found the 400 so thinking.....also found a XS750 local and the three cylinders kind of intrigue me in a weird way.....want to stick with an XS so let me know what you think.....I also have a lead on a 82 400 with a mono shock and DOHC motor.......

I have an xs750 for sale if you're interested. Granted I'm way down here in the southeast. I also have an xz550 vision for sale. ;)

I have five sohc xs400's. I used to have a few xs650's also. Sold the xs650's and bought the other four 400's. The 650 is a different feeling bike. I did like all the aftermarket stuff for them tho.

I have an xs750 for sale if you're interested. Granted I'm way down here in the southeast. I also have an xz550 vision for sale. ;)

Shipping kills everything :D

I have five sohc xs400's. I used to have a few xs650's also. Sold the xs650's and bought the other four 400's. The 650 is a different feeling bike. I did like all the aftermarket stuff for them tho.

Why did you sell the 650s ?

I like the 400s and there pretty easy to work on.......I wanted a mono shock version but being a DOHC I may just look for another titled 400 SOHC bike. Hell I have two motors and plenty of parts laying around :laugh2:

The 750 is a shaft drive bike, another layer of complexity, plus I think they sit high for my personal taste. I have spent quite a bit of time around one. I like the simplicity of the 400. Not a fan of some of the limited resources. I will do it again though, already started...

Shipping kills everything :D

Why did you sell the 650s ?

I like the 400s and there pretty easy to work on.......I wanted a mono shock version but being a DOHC I may just look for another titled 400 SOHC bike. Hell I have two motors and plenty of parts laying around :laugh2:

I like the smooth motor on the xs400 better. The xs650 has a lot of vibes in it (360 crank). When you compare the weight to power ratio on the two there is not much difference. I drove the my xs650 for two seasons. It was just not for me. This is a pic of my modified 80 just before I sold it. I also had a 76, 78, and 81. But those where for parts or future projects. I made a lot of money when I sold everything.
3784-1311621296-19a2fe40e43fc38876a947d251082f0e.jpg

Last edited:
XS 400 DOHC if you ask me...I rebuilt two of those.
Easy to do and boy....they go likes dogs shot in the ass

You like the DOHC over the SOHC ? I have a chance at one but just not sure.......kind of thinking if I stick with the 400 keep them all the same maybe.....hell who knows......I just want another project.

Can't Say about SOHCs .... didn't work on one...
All I can Say is the DOHC was fun to work on...
I built a monoshock cafe racer...and a scrambler on that base...
IMG_20170604_135306.jpg

It is an improbable base as it is a stress member engine...but with enough vision/work anything can be done...
Plus, i like building on an improbable base...rather than doing the cookiecutter Honda CB thing...not that I wouldn't do one...but the ugly duckling turned swan just does it for me.

Can't Say about SOHCs .... didn't work on one...
All I can Say is the DOHC was fun to work on...
I built a monoshock cafe racer...and a scrambler on that base...View attachment 30161
It is an improbable base as it is a stress member engine...but with enough vision/work anything can be done...
Plus, i like building on an improbable base...rather than doing the cookiecutter Honda CB thing...not that I wouldn't do one...but the ugly duckling turned swan just does it for me.

I like the look of that Café! Have a build thread on that one ?

Now you have me looking at options :laugh2:

...yep...it's called all over the place Maxim/Seca build

Will check it out I like the looks of it from the pic :thumbsup:

Have it narrowed down to a few bikes and well what is it with craigslist :rolleyes: one guy always answers with one word and the other has gone dark after texting me every day.........found a Virago and a DOHC 400. The Virago fits my bigger bike scenario and I like the looks of the mono shock cafes.

I know what you mean...I bought a virago basket case as my next project...1994 xv1100 with 94000km on it, will be a complete engine rebuild, big bore kit with Webcam cams single seater low-life style bobber, single carb kit from kjs with a 40 mm flatslide carb, all new wiring (motogadget)....the works...I plan on doing it on error the course of two-three years.
I already ride it sometimes and even out of shape this thing pulls like a tractor.:bike:

Back