XJ750 Added to the stable

SandyR

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after buying my 84 Maxim 400 a couple of weeks ago I've now ended up with an 81 Seca 750. This was not part of the plan but stuff happens. Saw it on Craigslist only a 10 min drive away and the price was so low I thought it was a misprint. Ended up first guy on the scene and couldn't pass it up. Runs good and the carbs were just done. It is even pretty good cosmetically so I'll have to find other things to do on it.

You can tell me to stop anytime!

Sandy

005.jpg

004-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

002-2.jpg

001-3.jpg

Looks Good! Now you have a bike to ride and a bike to work on. Just be sure to alternate on a regular basis, or one will get jealous of the other! :)

Nice - it's the double Maxim. Same engine, just twice. YICS is a little different - balancing the carbs takes an extra step to turn off the YICS. Besides the exhaust, it looks like it's in great shape! And a little bit of pipe wrap can cover them up, if they're structurally sound...

Great find.

The more I look at this the more surprised I am at how good it actually is. The pipes look bad but are good and solid. I thought of wrapping them but I decided that in our wet climate I'll be happier if I clean them up and paint them black. This is by far the cheapest bike I ever bought but it is in much better shape than many of the more expensive purchases. Even all the weird electronics seem to work.

Sandy

How much was it? I keep reading 'cheap', just wondering how cheap.

Looks like a nice find though! Any plans with it? Are you going to keep it in red?

Previous owner paid to have the carbs done recently but as you can see from the pics there was gas leaking from the outside carb on the left side. I had a good look at things before pulling the carbs because the bike starts and runs really well. I discovered that the float bowl screws on this carb were only little more than finger tight. After looking at it I bought a right angle screwdriver and managed to tighten the screws. Now to run it some and see if this cures the problem.
Sandy

A friend has an 82 750 Maxum. A very close relative to your Seca. A very nice bike. Fast, handles well.
Leo

Back