XS 400 cafe racer style...ish build

Cool, cheers. Sure someone will have seen / know where those carbs are from. Still on points ignition and the battery is a scooter battery, not lithium. Decided, perhaps badly to run kick start only. So just removed the start capacitor and connection. all other wiring is standard set up. Apart from a New ( standard glass) fuse box and led indicator relay. All else is standard. Lithium batteries are cool, just expensive. Although I'm sure I saw someone on here run a 12v house alarm battery as their main battery. They are small and relatively cheap. Guess that bike must be kickstart only. But I'm no expert!

Just curious. I'm doing kick start only as well, for both defensible and perhaps less-defensible reasons. I'm using a 12V lead acid battery cell meant for UPS (backup batteries for rackmount network gear) that's super small. It wouldn't have the capacity to run the electric starter, but, ironically, it's small enough to hide in the starter motor compartment. I didn't want to start extolling its virtues quite yet because none of it's been installed yet, much less validated after some road time.

How close are you to being totally done?

Last edited:
View attachment 33289 View attachment 33290 Hi all, little help required please. I'm now wondering what carbs I have and if they are correct. My bike is a 1980 sohc (me thinks) Europe model. I ordered a carb kit but some parts do not fit and the gasket is different. They guys at the carb place had my frame number and said the bike was built in 77 and this was what I needed. Now little confused or fear I may have incorrect carbs, pictures below. Any advise mush appreciated
Those look like 76-77 xs360 bs34 carbs (u.s.) Or the euro xs250 bs32 carbs. Measure the engine side hole and that will give you the side. Those are very different than the 77-82 sohc xs400 carbs. The butterfly plates will read 145 if they are xs360 bs34.

Just curious. I'm doing kick start only as well, for both defensible and perhaps less-defensible reasons. I'm using a 12V lead acid battery cell meant for UPS (backup batteries for rackmount network gear) that's super small. It would have the capacity to run the electric starter, but, ironically, it's small enough to hide in the starter motor compartment. I didn't want to start extolling its virtues quite yet because none of it's been installed yet, much less validated after some road time.

How close are you to being totally done?
I'd say 2 / 3 months. Not much left to do all things considered but I'm away with work last three weeks of April and again away for a week early May. In the US last two weeks of April. I'd like to have it on the road this summer. I'm fortunate to have another bike so will get out on that if the sun actually arrives I the UK. And may find the build slips behind a bit

I'd say 2 / 3 months. Not much left to do all things considered but I'm away with work last three weeks of April and again away for a week early May. In the US last two weeks of April. I'd like to have it on the road this summer. I'm fortunate to have another bike so will get out on that if the sun actually arrives I the UK. And may find the build slips behind a bit
Just curious. I'm doing kick start only as well, for both defensible and perhaps less-defensible reasons. I'm using a 12V lead acid battery cell meant for UPS (backup batteries for rackmount network gear) that's super small. It would have the capacity to run the electric starter, but, ironically, it's small enough to hide in the starter motor compartment. I didn't want to start extolling its virtues quite yet because none of it's been installed yet, much less validated after some road time.

Ups battery sounds like a good plan. Bonus it fits where the starter motor would be. Site below sells some accessories including a starter motor blank off. Can be a bit pricy and guess shipping may be expensive and think they are in Europe. But may be worth checking out.
https://www.caferacerwebshop.com/en/

Those look like 76-77 xs360 bs34 carbs (u.s.) Or the euro xs250 bs32 carbs. Measure the engine side hole and that will give you the side. Those are very different than the 77-82 sohc xs400 carbs. The butterfly plates will read 145 if they are xs360 bs34.

Thanks Chris, you certainly know your stuff. I'll check as you suggest. If they are 360 carbs is this bad news?

Thanks Chris, you certainly know your stuff. I'll check as you suggest. If they are 360 carbs is this bad news?
No as I run a set on one of my bikes. You just need to get the correct parts for it. The xs400 never used this older style. They weigh about 2lbs heavier than the xs400 carbs so it's a must to use the oem intake boot support cages along with the stock xs360 H-pipe/breather hose for more support. If not they could pop out or wear out a set of carb boot quick .

DSC03359.JPG DSC03360.JPG boot cages.

IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0488.JPG IMG_0490.JPG IMG_0491.JPG
No as I run a set on one of my bikes. You just need to get the correct parts for it. The xs400 never used this older style. They weigh about 2lbs heavier than the xs400 carbs so it's a must to use the oem intake boot support cages along with the stock xs360 H-pipe/breather hose for more support. If not they could pop out or wear out a set of carb boot quick .

View attachment 33295 View attachment 33296 boot cages.

Hi Chris, the plot thickens...perhaps! Butterflies have 125 written on them. I have measured the internal and external apparture, engine side. Pics below. Thanks for the heads up about the carb boot support, have been looking on the net, so far no joy. I have a clamp / bracket though to support the weight of the carbs. Bolted on the top of carbs and secures to the frame tube, via large rubber protected p clip. That should provide good support.

I have never use those 32mm carbs or ever seen them as the xs250 was never sold in the u.s. As they where meant for a much smaller bike I would guess they would make the bike run much leaner over the full rpm range.

Cool. Thank you. More problems....have changed nothing, apart from had carbs off and back on again. No when kicking bike it will not start, and kicks back every few kicks

Back