XS 400 Gas Tank Question

Jonesy

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've never been totally clear on the different XS models, but I have this model below:

IMG_0963.jpg

My question is, does anybody know if the square style gas tanks fit directly on these bikes? Or would I have to make some modifications? I'm considering doing a cafe-ish project with the XS and love that European looking tank (http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery A/Yamaha XS400 77 1.jpg)

Any thoughts would be great.

Gareth

Nope they are not a direct fit,they fall short on the rear mount.There are many threads on this topic that cover the mod process to make them work.The xs650 tank will not fit either.

Hey Jonsey one thing you can do for an easy mod to make that gas tank fit is remove the bracket on the rear of where your gas tank is.Move it forward about n inch or so and tac weld.You will have measure this presicely.I notice this today while working on my bike.

Yeah I guess that'd be a pretty easy solution. I'm unfortunately stuck in school for another month and bit, but as soon as I'm done the project starts. Just gotta start ordering stuff, etc.

Thanks!

People with boxy tank want the teardrop tank; people with the teardrop tank want the boxy tank. I'd just keep what you have; your motorcycle looks like it's in good shape.

Back