Xs1100 actually

Liamrdv

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm posting in here for my xs11 for this is where I've gotten the most help.
Anyhow, I picked up a 79 xs11 a while back, it's missing the keys and I've been trying to Hotwire it (I have the ownership papers just haven't spent the money on a new key or ignition yet) , but I'm pretty dumb when it comes to hotwiring, I've disconnected the Keyswitch and tried to jump the terminals from red to blue, red to brown, or red to blue and brown, I've gotten nothing more than power to the main fuse, can't get anything more than that , so I'm unsure if I'm missing a terminal to bypass or it's a dead short, the wiring is a mess but I can't see it being shorted anywhere , if anyone could help I wouldn't mind seeing it light up before I spend the 70$ on a new set of keys. Picture attached is the terminal I've been working with.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5371.PNG
    IMG_5371.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 585
assuming the wiring is the same as the XS360/400, make sure you have good grounds. Theres the one for the battery, and one on the wiring harness. For the ignition, you should be able to pull the back of the cylinder off where the contacts and wires are, and pull the lock cylinder off. From there you can remove the brass tumblers and reassemble the lock cylinder. Or you can just do the screwdriver trick like the previous owner of my bike did!

My ignition has 3 positions too. I dont quite understand it because i dont have an owners manual and theres nothing about it in my Haynes manual.

The positions are like this : OFF, 1, 2.

I forget what position it was, but I could only start my bike from one single position, not sure why though.

I've looked at some wiring diagrams for xs1100, and some show 4 wires coming from the main switch....
No doubt it would help to know the exact type of your bike
I've been looking especially at this diagram: Link
Power to the main fuse comes directly from the battery, then goes to the main switch through the red wire. Did you make sure the fuse isn't dead?
The blue wire powers the turn signals and brake light, the brown wire goes back to the fusebox to power the remaining systems.

If you suspect a defect in the main powerline (red), try jumping some power directly from the battery to various points on the harness, starting with the brown and blue wires on the main switch terminal you showed. If that doesn't do it, go directly to the three remaining fuses in the fusebox. Past this point, I'm as much at a loss as you probably are

Back