xs400 1979 ignition coil packs wiring help

tonyxs

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! Need help with my ignition coils wiring.

after recommandation from mike'S xs, I bought these for my bike:
Dynatek High Performance Ignition Coils - 12 Volt Single Tower (5 ohm) - DC10-1

to go along with my electronic ignition from them that some old mechanic put together. however, my e-ignition unit is faulty and not under warranty so i decided to go back to points system with the contact breaker points and condenser. How should i wire these properly? I tried referring to the manual, but i am not familiar with the symbols and don't know what the small rectangle/triangle icons are for. Also the symbols around the condenser. here is what i mean attached. thank you!

Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 9.06.17 PM.png Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 9.06.19 PM.png Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 9.11.12 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-26 at 9.06.14 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-04-26 at 10.20.02 PM.png Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 10.20.07 PM.png

Last edited:
The triangles pointing to the rectangles are probably the bullet connectors, the double being the "splitter" for powering both coils and the points are switching the ground. The condenser wires go to each point wire to buffer the arc produced and is probably a male/female blade connector.

Thanks! Is there a specific order for plugging the ignition coils to each point it or it doesn'T matter which coiled is plugged on? I did this simpler wiring diagram based on what i found for the xs400 1979. But i want to make sure if my current goes to one or the other point on the contact breaker plate if it will damage anything.

Screenshot 2023-04-27 at 9.00.00 AM.png

No, you won't damage anything. The points are just analog on/off switching of the ground, no electronics involved to worry about.

great thanks! And by any chance do you think my understanding of the diagram is right? SO left coil orange wire goes to the kill switch, and the grey one from the right coil as well?

Back