Xs400 adventure! Gear anyone?

Recreateme

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I have been really getting into adventure biking, and since my XS400 is the bike I have i figured i could do my best to make it as capable as possible. Obviously i don't mean anything crazy, but there is no reason these bikes can't hit some dirt trails, fields, or mild terrain.

I know there are a few who done the same, and i wanted this thread to be about camping gear - tents, bags, panniers, gadgets - anything that makes the trip as light and fun as possible.

The only rule I would like to state is - If you mention a piece of gear, you have to post a pic of it!

This all stemmed from planning some camping trips for next spring, getting out on the road a couple days and sleeping under the stars. I'll post up some basics and hopefully you guys who may be more experienced or have researched a bit more, can add!

I want to do a couple small 2-3 day trips and maybe a big one in sept, but as cheap as possible so i won't be posting 500$ tents, or 200$ sleeping bags, just what works, no frills, affordable and quality stuff (i hope)

First things first: A tent!
I am going with MECs Camper 2, for a cheap 159$CDN packs into a ~2kg, 51x16x16cm pack. I think this will sit nicely strapped to the pillion seat on top of a large pack.
5027-694_SBL00_view1_720x720.jpg

It does have a tent floor avail. for like 20$ i'll pick as well.

Still looking for list:
- Adventure boots, cheap boots are tricky, id like to avoid velcro but also like to avoid high prices so its gonna be a hunt thats for sure;
- Sleeping bag, 5C-15C range would be good, sub 125$ would be great;
- 60L-ish bag to strap to the pillion area would be great, i would like to avoid panniers but i am not sure if i can..
- Cooking gear! The battle between canister and alcohol has begun, not sure what i would want, leaning towards canister fuel. Need pots, a pan maybe, something to make coffee would be a must, and a burner.
- Nice small chair, something with a back though.

I know i am leaving out a lot but that will come later, i think these are some of the key items...

Post cool gear, your gear, tips, ideas and anything else related to adventure, camping and trail riding here!

Lou.. If i take the fly off the tent is mesh, and pretty much transparent haha

I actually picked up one of those from CT a while back when they were on sale, but i think thats to bulky for me to bring on a motorcycle camp trip..

ADVRider.com - your one stop site for all things Adventure Riding!

Riding gear - There is a reason why the good gear is expensive. ADV riding is demanding! Weather protection, impact protection, thermal control (staying cool or warm), pockets for storage, etc. Boots that offer protection, soles with traction, waterproof, and flexible enough to walk/hike in, etc. It all adds up to pricy gear.

Stove - MSR Dragonfly, Whisperlite or similar running on gasoline - each large fuel bottle adds 1L of reserve gasoline for bike use, or the bike can provide extra fuel for cooking. Canister stoves are convenient, but require a dedicated fuel source that you won't find at a local gas station.

Cooking - GSI Halulite kettle, AeroPress coffee maker, spork, chopsticks, Swiss Army knife (always carry one in your pocket!), a silicone bowl, and an insulated mug should cover most requirements unless you are looking for fancy meals.

Food - Instant oatmeal, powdered eggs, freeze dried entrees (on clearance right now at WalMart for $3 each), trail mix for snacks, etc. Coffee, sugar, creamer, salt, pepper, spices, hot sauce, etc.

Fireside beverages (if desired) - Beer is great, but takes a lot of space and cooling. Whiskey (or such) gets the job done and carries easier.

Water - MSR HyperFlow filter, a 3L hydration backpack like Source or CamelBak for storage and drinking on the bike. A collapsible bucket is handy.

Sleeping - hammock with bug net (DIY for under $50) and sleeping bag. Light weight, compact, and much easier to pick a camp site and setup in the rain.

Shelter - A large SilNylon tarp 12'x14' will cover you AND your gear from the elements.

Fire - BIC lighters are cheap and reliable, carry a couple in various places. Put a cable tie around it to prevent the fuel lever from being depressed accidentally. A fire steel is a good idea as a failsafe if you know how to use one. Cotton balls (or dryer lint) with petroleum jelly makes great tinder/fire starter. A small hatchet like a Fiskars X7 is light and also doubles as a hammer.

Lighting - LED head lamp and flashlight. Don't pick lights that requires special batteries, they can't be bought at a corner store! And avoid cheap lights, they are dim and fail at the worst time. Stick with AA and AAA batteries, preferably rechargeable like Sanyo Eneloop's.

Chair - a kid sized folding chair is tiny and cheap if you fit into it, otherwise there are more expensive camp chairs at MEC.

Storage - A drybag is a must for the sleeping gear. Panniers for clothing, food and cooking gear. They will keep the weight low for better handling. Nelson Rigg Survivor Series Dry Saddlebags are on my short list, as is a top rack to mount my Pelican 1550 box. A tank bag for rain gear, visor cleaning wipes, snacks, flashlight, and other gear you need quick access to. Stuff sacks for organizing gear.

Tool Kit - wrenches, screw drivers, hex keys, tire spoons, patch kit, air pump, tire pressure gauge, spare fuses and bulbs, wire ties, electrical tape, crimp connectors, duct tape, multitool, rope, folding shovel, engine oil, chain lube, fuel transfer pump and hose, spare fuel filter, etc. Cash for the unexpected - the guy that stops to help you at the side of the road probably won't accept a credit card...

If you are riding with others, be sure to co-ordinate with them to avoid duplicating gear - but only if you trust them to carry what you need!

That is a quick rundown...

... I actually picked up one of those from CT a while back when they were on sale, but i think thats to bulky for me to bring on a motorcycle camp trip..
It takes up WAY less space if you let the air out of it. :wink2:

Speaking personally, I'd rather trust the stars than lay on the ground. If the stars fail me, that's what Motel 6 is for :laugh:

Wow Dave, that a huge post (no pics either...) I will over look it based on content though... Also, it says that burner burns 'white gas' and you are saying it can be fueled by standard petrol.. is white gas just petrol or are you saying you've tried it and it works fine on petrol they just didn't mention it on the MEC site?

I was coming in to post the new dry bag i just order, and saw that and makes my bag look a bit silly haha
5030-655_ISG00_view1_720x720.jpg

Regardless, i picked up a 35L roll top waterproof dry bag, and a bunch of smaller bags to compartmentalize, as well as a 5L roll top, different bag but i probably very similar to the other so nothing to write home about.

Still need a strap system to hook all of this stuff up to the bike securely if anyone knows a good one, maybe i'll just get one of those bungee nets haha

EDIT: Looking at the pannier system, it looks good, relatively cheap it seems, but whats stopping the pannier from contacting the rear wheel on a turn or something like that ?

Last edited:
Yeah, well, I've been working on gearing up for bike camping. Most of my gear is packed away right now and I don't have any pics of it in use. I go camping to get away from technology, not to use it! ;) Don't forget that you don't have to buy new or brand name gear. Lots of deals to be found at WalMart, Canadian Tire, and Army surplus stores. Especially this time of year. And used gear can be found at garage sales, dollar stores, and thrift stores like Salvation Army or Goodwill. eBay, craigslist and kijiji are other options as well.

I run my MSR Whisperlite on pump gasoline. I don't remember, but it may be the "International" version which has changeable jets for using different fuels like diesel or kerosene. I've had it for probably 20 years and I'm not unpacking it just to check. :) I'm using the same jet as for White Gas, Naphtha, Coleman camp fuel, Shellite, what ever you want to call it. It makes a lot more soot with gasoline when first started, but otherwise works well. Might be slightly more dangerous, but the stove is bombproof and I value the added reserve fuel for the bike. I also have a 1980's SVEA 123 stove that I run gasoline in without any changes or problems. I keep it with my bug-out bag.

Definitely use straps to secure your bags! Bungee cords allow your gear to move around and fall off, are easy to snag and break, and are dangerous in general. I have some 6' long 1" wide camlock straps with hooks that cost me $1 each at a local flea market.

Since it sounds like your from Canada, and trying to do this on a bit of a budget, check out the MEC online gear swap. You can find it on the website. Its often got things for cheap that people have bought and then used only a few times. Ive got a couple of steals off there before.

Dave- they don't have to be YOUR pics I usually just [ img] tag in an image that turns up on google so people know what I'm talking about. And yes I'm new to camping and bikes in general so I have to buy everything it's easiest just buying something new of quality once.

MechNewb- yup SW ontario, I'm actually surprised how many Canadians are on this forum and active. Ill certainly look for that it'll really yep out since I'm buying a bunch of stuff from MEC anyway lol

If the verbosity of my verbiage is confusing the issue, just say so. I can try dropping vowels and punctuation if that would help. :) A picture may be worth a thousand words, but words can be searched, pictures not as easily.

Buying quality is always the best option. Buying new is great, who doesn't like opening a package, unwrapping something and being the first to put fingerprints on it? But new will eat your budget and leave you short. Buying quality items used may take a while, but it will allow you to get what you need or want, even on a limited budget.

Getting started riding is expensive, as I'm sure you've found out. ADV riding is more expensive due to the demands placed on everything, and the increased wear and tear. ADV riding on a small bike is even more demanding and potentially expensive. We don't have the load carrying capabilities, so gear has to be light weight. Light weight gear typically costs more. And since we are limited in what we can carry, most everything has to be multifunction. We don't have large fuel tanks, so we either fill-up all the time, or we carry additional fuel in expensive containers.

My point is to be frugal with your spending right now, because you have a lot of it ahead of you. And if memory serves me, you haven't even got your bike on the road yet? :yikes:

EDIT: Looking at the pannier system, it looks good, relatively cheap it seems, but whats stopping the pannier from contacting the rear wheel on a turn or something like that ?

Sorry, missed this the first time.

The Nelson-Rigg Adventure Dry bags have a built in back plate to make them flat on the back and to hold their shape when loaded. Check out this thread on ADVRider for details on the bags. Since our bikes are not typical ADV bikes, there aren't any commercial racks available. Typically, a lightweight frame is made for the bags to rest against and mount to.

The frame doesn't have to be fancy. I'm thinking of making mine from 3/8" steel rod, bent into a U shape. They will attach to the rear frame at the top and to the pillion peg mounts at the bottom forward corners. The lower rear corner will be free hanging. If/when the bike is dropped, the frame will bend and absorb some of the impact, hopefully preventing serious damage to the bags and gear inside. Bending the frame back into shape should only involve a few minutes trailside and some muscle power.

Hope this helps...

So my top tips, since most of the stuff has been covered already:

- Definitely get a gasoline-fueled stove with the 1L bottle - it's perfect for bike adventures as, like Dave already mentioned, it'll have a dual function. I read that the Primus Omnifuel is awesome.
Primus_Omnifuel.jpg

- Get a really small tent, even if a bigger size is lighter/cheaper. If you're traveling alone, get a small 1-person tent. A bigger tent is nice for stashing your gear, and having somewhere to sit when it rains, but you'll really regret it on cold nights. With a small tent the whole tent warms up nicely through your body heat, which is a lifesaver in cold climates. If you're only traveling in warm places, it doesn't matter as much. Something like this is awesome:

18-192-Image1.jpeg

- leave everything non-essential. You'll need two sets of clothes, perhaps three sets of underwear. Just enough so you can change when you get really wet, or you can wear one set while washing the other. Get a thin, small air mattress. I have this one, and it's super small, light and cheap (like 15-20 euros):
abd071-255x768.jpg

- A nice winter hat will keep your head warm at night. You shouldn't wear clothes in bed unless you absolutely can't bear the cold, it'll make it impossible to get up in the morning and you won't sleep well either.

- A friend of mine had a rectangular sleeping mattress which he could convert to a chair, it's not great to sit on (you'll still sit on the floor) but it may be worth saving the space by getting this instead of a real seat.
stoelhoes.jpg

- duct tape and zip ties go a long way, especially on a trip

- if you can buy them cheap or make them, hard cases which can be locked onto the bike are preferred. Being able to leave your stuff behind somewhere and walk without having to worry about someone coming by and stealing your gear is great. If you're making some from scratch, a lot of musicians' stores sell nice corner pieces and DIY case-parts which are great. There's bunches of designs on google :)

602497191_SGKEP-S.jpg

- wear earplugs if you go for long rides. I usually wear them when I go for more than 15 minutes on the highway, the wind noise is just a lot and you can get serious hearing damage from it. Apart from that I just notice that the noise is really exhausting after a long day's ride. I have made-to-measure earplugs that I used when playing with my band a few years ago, they were expensive (like 110 euros) but it was money well spent. But just for on the bike a set of those foam ones will do fine as well.
ear-plugs.jpg

do not get these as they will push against your helmet:
Musicians_earplugs.jpg

I have a set of these made to measure:
kendal-zacht-transparant.jpg

Last edited:
A tent? I thought you wanted to sleep under the stars?

All you REALLY need:

don't take this - it may be comfortable but it doesn't keep you warm at all. A thinner air mattress (like 2-4 cm thick or 1.5-2.5 inches) will be much better, not to mention lighter and smaller. A self-inflatable one is nice, since blowing one up is not only tedious, but also you'll end up with moisture inside (your breath is quite damp).

In warm climates with a lot of trees there's the hammock option, but I personally hate sleeping in a hammock apart from the afternoon nap in the sun. You'll sleep in a curve, and you can't turn. Also unless you put down an air mattress like the one above, your ass will freeze because the wind can blow underneath you and due to your weight your sleeping bag won't isolate your undersides. I also found it's not much smaller or lighter than a small tent. Cheaper perhaps, yes.

In warm climates with a lot of trees there's the hammock option, but I personally hate sleeping in a hammock apart from the afternoon nap in the sun. You'll sleep in a curve, and you can't turn. Also unless you put down an air mattress like the one above, your ass will freeze because the wind can blow underneath you and due to your weight your sleeping bag won't isolate your undersides. I also found it's not much smaller or lighter than a small tent. Cheaper perhaps, yes.

I'm going to disagree with most of this. :) a properly setup hammock allows one to sleep virtually flat. Most people don't have enough sag in their hammock, and they lie down the center. Both are wrong. More sag and lie on a diagonal for a virtually flat hang. Side sleeping works just fine as well. Setup is less than 5 minutes, in the rain, with the tarp going up first. With my gear staying dry.

I have a light weight under-quilt that along with a cheap sleeping bag has taken me down to -11C. So cold weather is not an issue. I have slept through a nasty thunderstorm with high winds and almost 40mm of rain in an hour. I was completely dry, but my camp shoes were washed downhill by the water that ran under my tarp and hammock. If I'd been on the ground, I would have been soaked.

Visit www.Hammockforums.net for more info than one should ever need...

Thanks Willem, thats the point of this thread to go through gear advice, not just the general "you need a stove" but the brand of stove, fuel type, reasons why one is better then the others etc... I think we all know the broad strokes, this thread i was hoping would help me and others work out the nitty gritty details on brands, and styles, and features of things.

Personally, i think people disagreeing is essential because we all camp differently and it provides more information if there is more then 1 view on something.

Great stuff guys!

Ok I agree I have never slept in a properly set up hammock. But if you're here, you're in trouble nonetheless:

2003-10-15_1600x900_south_dakota_badlands.jpg

Another thing, when getting a tent there are a lot of them which have a 'water resistant' floor - which basically means nothing other than it not being waterproof. This is usually to keep the weight down - low weight sells in tents more than anything. I chose a slightly heavier tent with a floor which is 100% waterproof, sort of a 'normal tarp' type canvas on the bottom (see below). It's heavier, but with those 'water resistant' ones you'll have to bring an extra sheet of plastic or something to make it waterproof. And that will never fit, it will always catch some water between the tent and the plastic, it will just be horrible.

dekzeil-blgr-2-x-3-meter.jpg

I can't disagree with you there Willem! I have heard that some hammock users are successfully using rock anchors like climbers use, but that isn't much of a concern in Southern Ontario where Recreateme and I are located. It isn't too difficult to find 2 trees that are 12 - 30' apart to hang from. And "going to ground" with a decent hammock setup is much easier than trying to hang a tent in trees... :)

Hammocks are popular with the ADV crowd due to their compact and light weight nature, but they certainly aren't for everyone. I have a "not so good" back, and find a hammock more comfortable than sleeping in my bed at home, never mind sleeping on the ground. If only I could convince my wife to let me hang my hammock in our house. I might get more than 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night without taking pain killers. :(

With regard to top cases, I've been seriously considering a top rack that a member on ADVRider has designed. I already have a Pelican 1550 box, and I like how well thought out this rack is, as I'll be able to use it for work commuting through the week for my laptop and other IT gear, and then use it for camping gear on weekends. 2 padlocks will lock the case and secure it to the bike. I will have to make a mounting bracket of some sort on my bike, which is on my todo list for this winter. As are come crash guards for the engine, and protection for the engine sump. It is going to be a DIY winter. ;)

I am. Unfortunately, anything I design for my Maxim won't apply to a SOHC bike, the frames are totally different. I'm still working on sketching ideas at the moment. I'll have to get my exhaust sorted out before I get to the crash guards and gravel guard/skid plate. So many things to take into consideration...

Back