Xs400 adventure! Gear anyone?

I got my bags in from Mec, and they seem like the prefect size.. I can see the 35L carring all of my clothes and personal effects easily using only about 28-30L, making it just a bit wider then the bikes seat itself.

I'm trying to find a sleeping bag but am torn between ratings.

I pretty much only plan on camping out between April - Sept, so i was looking at the 40F bag, I can't see the nights dropping below that, and I like it cold for sleeping anway..

Do you experienced campers think a 40F bag would be well suited for that ? Or should i drop down to a 30F bag ?

It depends on how the bag is rated. Cheap bags are rated for the temp that they may keep you alive. Good bags are rated for comfort. How you sleep is another factor, Some people sleep cold, others hot. If in doubt, get a bag rated colder, it is easier to un-zip the bag to cool off than it is to try to get warm at 4am. There are also thermal liners that can be put inside a sleeping bag to make them warmer. I personally don't like them as they bunch and twist up and leave me feeling like I'm in a straight jacket. I'm an 'active' sleeper, rolling around a fair bit, so this may not be an issue for you.

This past September I spent 5 nights in my cheap 40F rated mummy bag without complaint, even though the temps dropped down to close to freezing every night. I think the thermal under blanket in my hammock made all the difference.

That last part is what i was looking for Dave, thanks!

I think I will get the 40-45F bag. All of my camping will be in warmer weather (I can't see it getting below 40F, I imagine it to be between 50-80F spring and summer.

Typically I like it cold to sleep. Right now I have heat off in my bedroom all together so its about 50-58F when i sleep. I figure that i will always have my riding jacket i can drape over my bag if i really need it.

Now i gotta find the bag!

I'm thinking about making a rackmounted barrel to use as storage space on the bike. Sort of a case on the back - just made out of a barrel. I'm thinking a simple steel frame which mounts into the passenger handles and the turn signal mounts on the back end of the frame, and mounting a 100L barrel on that which sits on top of the passenger seat and sticks out the back end a bit. Cut it open like the barbecue in the pic, mount a handle and done. 100% waterproof, simply put a chain with a locket around it to secure all my stuff, plenty of storage, and it'll look pretty cool I think. I can make a little padding on it against my back for extra comfort. Pretty sure I'll make this if I decide to go travel long distance on the xs.

deluxe-barrel-barbecue-open.jpg

That's pretty crazy!

While you're building that thing you should design a shelf/rack system that can clip on the grab bar sitting on the rear seat leaving a flat surface. Something easy on and easy off, yet secure so that people could mount top boxes and you can mount your barrel.

Kinda like what adventure bikes have, but easily removable.

Try a 20L plastic bucket first. I think 100L would be much too large, and a steel barrel would weigh too much - before you started filling it! Do you you have plans of moving to India and running a delivery service on your bike? If 100L of storage is required, maybe a trailer or side car would be a better choice? Try a "milk crate" to keep with the 'ghetto styled improvisation' look if that is what you are going for...

100L steel drum weighs about 10 kg, even if I fill it up all the way with water it'll all weigh about 110 kg. I've ridden with my very tall friend (about 85 kg) on the back which my xs handled without any issues. I'm thinking it should be alright.. As for weight distribution it will be quite top heavy I guess. I don't plan on running a delivery service nor do I intend to move to India. But it seems like a fun project and if I have 100L of lockable storage space I wouldn't need a backpack, tank bag or saddle bags. The bike would stay as narrow as it is now, too. It would sit on top of the passenger seat, whereas normal top boxes tend to be positioned behind the passenger seat.

But yea it may be a bit much haha. Perhaps I'll go for a 60 or 70 liter drum instead. I'll see what fits.

... It would sit on top of the passenger seat, whereas normal top boxes tend to be positioned behind the passenger seat ...
Well, you have plenty of designer concepts to choose from:

Attachments

• At least 100 litres.JPG
    At least 100 litres.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 335
Just pulled the trigger on an 'action cam' lol I bought a Polaroid XS100i (the one with wifi, only because it was on sale and was 10$ more then the normal one).

Plan here is to document some riding, whenever that actually starts and maybe give that whole 'Moto Vlogging' trend a shot ( I can get a bit verbose on subjects i am passionate about) So might as well buy it now when i have nothing else to do in this weather haha

Back