XS400 battery?

Xander Stephens

XS400CafeRacer
Reaction score
I have recently bought a 1976 XS360 which has been turned into a cafe racer. This bike was running off of a Trail Tech battery by the previous owner. The battery is a 3700mah battery made by Trail Tech. The battery is quite small and is a battery that is mainly meant to be on dirt bikes. The owner told me that that this little battery did the job, but sometimes died, and he would suggest getting a bigger battery.

I want a bigger battery for the bike, but one that is still relatively small. The bike doesn’t have much, just a front headlight, two pairs of blinkers, a horn, and the engine.

I’ve been reading about batteries for motorcycles and a few questions have come to mind that I can’t seem to find else where.

If we go back a little bit and look at the very basics of a battery and the system, can I put any 12v motorcycle battery on my bike without harming it? Since my bike doesn’t have a battery box, and the wire length isn’t a problem, the size of the battery won’t matter (although I’d like one on the smaller end). My bike also doesn’t have an electric starter on it. Because of this I am wondering what my options are when it comes to batteries. Would I be good to put on any 12v motorcycle battery without harming the bike? Or would something happen?

Thanks for the help

Without getting too scientific, a 12v battery is a 12v battery.

The 360s had a mechanical regulator, so you should stay away from lithium batteries. You can upgrade to a solid state regulator if it hasnt been done already. I would think the previous owner did it to accommodate the battery.

Ive always used the smallest battery I could find at the auto parts store. I wouldnt go any lower than 120CCA. Any store you go to they will all be the same general dimensions. Most of the 120CCA batteries are roughly 5” long x 5” tall and 3.5” wide.

If you have a good solid state regulator, you can use a Antigravity 4 cell battery, what I currently use.

AGM and the lead acid type batteries will probably last a little longer because they can take the abuse of variable charge rates.

I have recently bought a 1976 XS360 which has been turned into a cafe racer. This bike was running off of a Trail Tech battery by the previous owner. The battery is a 3700mah battery made by Trail Tech. The battery is quite small and is a battery that is mainly meant to be on dirt bikes. The owner told me that that this little battery did the job, but sometimes died, and he would suggest getting a bigger battery.

I want a bigger battery for the bike, but one that is still relatively small. The bike doesn’t have much, just a front headlight, two pairs of blinkers, a horn, and the engine.

I’ve been reading about batteries for motorcycles and a few questions have come to mind that I can’t seem to find else where.

If we go back a little bit and look at the very basics of a battery and the system, can I put any 12v motorcycle battery on my bike without harming it? Since my bike doesn’t have a battery box, and the wire length isn’t a problem, the size of the battery won’t matter (although I’d like one on the smaller end). My bike also doesn’t have an electric starter on it. Because of this I am wondering what my options are when it comes to batteries. Would I be good to put on any 12v motorcycle battery without harming the bike? Or would something happen?

Thanks for the help
hey man if you live in utah i'll ship you my battery if youo want i'm doin a battery delete for a brat cafe endurocross i have and i'm looking to get a little cash for the swap

Back