XS400 Bobber build/first post

well mine both have spark. so i think im good for now. ill let you know by the end of the week if i need them of not. it runs on both cylinders, so i think im good. well see cuz this week is tuning week

Awesome! Mikesxs sells aftermarket 4ohm coils without the wires for $26 each without shipping. I would go there if you are looking for new:thumbsup:

update - coils are fine. carbs might need to be jetted. im runnin pod filters of the cheap uni-variety and exhaust from stock to 2 1/2 wide 6 inch long cutouts for the tips.this has to be done by the 20th. gettin the carbs synced 2morro i think and well see where i stand. i just want to be able to get the jets in time. it moved under its own power down the street, limping but it did it. needs lots of timing work too. so well see.

carl - i am using it, but i have the cut off end of it if you want it for like a rear loop or from the top rails of a hardtail.
does your bike have an oil cooler???? i noticed it in the pics.

^^ :hijack: ^^

comment 1 - dont get rid of it, polish it and make it look like a cool part. stainless tubing would be rad. would like to see a thread with pics that show where the lines go into the block. sounds interesting. think there a pic thread with modded 400's.

relevant question 2 - read through the thread. its got pics and stuff. i tacked travis' axle plates to the swingarm, after i figured out where i wanted it and adjusted ride height. measured, measured, and measured, got free DOM tubing (theres a thread that explains what everything means for hardtails and the steel to use) and had a buddy bend it. worked out perfect. trimmed and welded everything (pipefitter friend tig'd it industrial style. so im confident in the way i did it. i connected the top rails... forget it. just read the thread. lol this comment would be way too long.

also, you can edit 1 comment instead of posting 3. not trying to be a dick, but just trying to keep the thread consistent and on topic.

I will make sure I post lots of pictures when I am doing it. Yeah I am going to order the whole kit with the tubing and axle plates. Just never done it and nervous hahaha. Sorry wasnt aware I could edit my posts, thanks for the heads up, still new to the forums. Did your buddy make 2 bends on the seat section to attach to the top of the existing frame?

bikes running well, but doesnt want to drop below 4k dad figured out my throttle cable isnt letting my butterflys close all the way. at least thats what he says, or the idle screw is turned in too far. ill look later today.

this is tho combo i think im gonna run. i ride a lot of gravel roads to my friends houses/off roading spots to meet people so i think this combo will have enough to bite, but still wear as a normal tire on pavement instead of a knobby. shipping is pretty quick, so theyll be here on wed if i order today.

front --- would 3.50 be too big? or should i stick with the 3.00?
also its cool to run a tube in these rims right?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co.../Shinko-244-Dual-Sport-Front---Rear-Tire.aspx

rear --- goin with the 120/80h - 18
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/20401/ITEM/Shinko-705-Series-Dual-Sport-Rear-Tire.aspx

i rode it yesterday!!!!! no pegs or front brake. SKETCHY!!!! puttin pegs on and messin with my idle mixture screw today. should be runnin better by the end of the day.

bikes running well, but doesnt want to drop below 4k dad figured out my throttle cable isnt letting my butterflys close all the way. at least thats what he says, or the idle screw is turned in too far. ill look later today.

this is tho combo i think im gonna run. i ride a lot of gravel roads to my friends houses/off roading spots to meet people so i think this combo will have enough to bite, but still wear as a normal tire on pavement instead of a knobby. shipping is pretty quick, so theyll be here on wed if i order today.

front --- would 3.50 be too big? or should i stick with the 3.00?
also its cool to run a tube in these rims right?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co.../Shinko-244-Dual-Sport-Front---Rear-Tire.aspx

rear --- goin with the 120/80h - 18
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/20401/ITEM/Shinko-705-Series-Dual-Sport-Rear-Tire.aspx

I got 3:50 front on the tracker with a 4:00 rear

my rear right now is 4.10 so ill be ok then it seems. but its ok to use a tube for the tire on these rims? im goin with a 3.00 cuz thats whats on there right now. any difference in handling as far as the 3.00 and 3.50 go?

my rear right now is 4.10 so ill be ok then it seems. but its ok to use a tube for the tire on these rims? im goin with a 3.00 cuz thats whats on there right now. any difference in handling as far as the 3.00 and 3.50 go?

mine handles great, the 3:00 will make it steer into corners better

yeah thats what i figured, i ended up goin with the 3.00 i ordered it today, $97 for both tires and a tube for the front. shipping was free and they should be here 2morro or so it said. now i have another excuse to use the starter fluid inflation trick! - most awesome way to seat bead, besides a cheetah

Volcom - I'm assuming you already solved the high idle - but if not: Check that there is slack in the throttle cable. Get it all mounted up, adjust the idle all the way out (so that the screw is not engaging the throttle linkage) - and then check the tension on the cable AT THE CARB. I do this by turning the throttle and watching the linkage and cable. If adjust properly, the cable should have to "wind up" (you will see the slack in the cable come out before the throttle linkage moves).

If that is all correct, then there must be another adjustment you need to make. Perhaps the bike is running lean (which would explain a really high idle), and you need new jets and/or a mixture screw adjustment.

When I changed my bars on my XJ650, the bike had a similar issue. It turned out that I chose the wrong routing change for my throttle cable, and so the cable was under tension when at rest. Even with the throttle adjustment all the way open slack, it was still idling at like 3.5k. I took the tank off, routed the throttle to the other side of the tank, and it solved the issue.

tombo - i figured it out, i was using a throttle sleeve/housing off a 71 DT125, i had to shave the housing down to give myself enough slack. its all good now thanks for the info!

update - got my new set of points today - thank you xschris.
which means it WILL RIDE today. i have the carbs from my parts bike gone through and set to stock settings with the pipes and airbox from the same bike. so it WILL RIDE. should have video to follow

she RODE!! but had massive backfiring issues. talked to this guy^ decided that i have a roached cam lobe thing, so im robbing that one out of the 360 parts bike i have. this weekend should be fun :)

Back