XS400 Bobber build/first post

i will defiantly make yall some spacers. i get my materials for free too. lol so ill just bring a bunch on our ride and pass em out to whoever needs them. they'll probably be stainless, because there is an abundance of that. my dads work has lathes and mills and everything i want in the shop i dont have, so ill be goin there pretty often. just let me know if you need any and what size. same with pegs and ill see what i can do. as for the z-bars, i was gonna do drags, but having scoliosis, riding hunched over for 5 hours doesnt appeal to me. but i will be fabing up some z-bars as soon as i get my hands on an already knurled piece, of find a knurling too. ill be sure to keep this posted.

in other news, i got the 1st compression ring off of my seized piston. the other one is in there really good, and its being stubborn so idk what to do. a kerosene soak maybe? ill see. any ideas on how to get it out and where to get new ones?
sorry about the novel guys, im just really excited about my new "skill"

i will defiantly make yall some spacers. i get my materials for free too. lol so ill just bring a bunch on our ride and pass em out to whoever needs them. they'll probably be stainless, because there is an abundance of that. my dads work has lathes and mills and everything i want in the shop i dont have, so ill be goin there pretty often. just let me know if you need any and what size. same with pegs and ill see what i can do. as for the z-bars, i was gonna do drags, but having scoliosis, riding hunched over for 5 hours doesnt appeal to me. but i will be fabing up some z-bars as soon as i get my hands on an already knurled piece, of find a knurling too. ill be sure to keep this posted.

in other news, i got the 1st compression ring off of my seized piston. the other one is in there really good, and its being stubborn so idk what to do. a kerosene soak maybe? ill see. any ideas on how to get it out and where to get new ones?
sorry about the novel guys, im just really excited about my new "skill"
Damn man, I wish i had access to all of that! haha I'd be making random crap all day long! lol Hell....I need wheel spacers for sure, but I'd make pegs, a bad-ass kicker pedal, among other cool things! lol

As for the rings, I'm not sure but this post may help....

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17259

Also, this is some pretty good reading as well....actually the entire site has good info....

http://www.dansmc.com/pistons.htm

been looking at tires, really liking the look of these, anyone have any experience with them?
kinda reminds me of a tall firestone you see on harleys. this one is a IRC GS-11 All Weather Rear. pretty good price, has the look that i want, and it comes with a 3.50S-18 and thats the stock rear size. would there be a point in going to a 4.00? is it even possible? i know on cars you can stretch mount to get a smaller width tire on a larger width rim, but thats pointless for a motorcycle. (sorry, thinking out loud). can you do the opposite to get a bigger tire on a smaller rim?
this is my option for the rear.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...-11-All-Weather-Rear-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=SLI_SERP

also, these come in 100/90 H 18. (reccomended by HT in a previous thread)
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/6096/ITEM/Kenda-K657-Challenger-Front-Tire.aspx
is that the correct size for the front? the front is a 3.50 according to the downloadable manual. i like the look of this tire, i just wish it had more groves to match the rear. is it unsafe to run 2 different tires?

Last edited:
ususally 90/90 for front, but you can prob get away with it.

the wider you go with a tyre the starnger the handling, its to do with the engine power/suspension/rim setup. If your bar cruising there's no issues with that but if you are really gonna use it, stick with the specs 90/90 x 18 front 110/90 x 18 rear!

I like the Kenda for the price. You can't really beat that tire for the money. I only cruise the bike around town....never on the interstate, so Drewpy's advice probably stands. I REALLY like the look of the first tire though!

if i go on that ride, im gonna be on the highway. im not gonna be corner carving, itll be a bar hopper mostly, but ill be putting some miles on it. no trips to cali, but ill take it to car shows and stuff all over the mid west. would that really make a diff in the front? and 110 in the rear is the same as 3.50 right?

or this for the front, its called the Shinko 230 Tour Master, and its a 110/90V-18. i figured that its a stock size, thats better fuel economy, and better handling. but once agian, i dont know if it effects handling having two different types of tires and and one has far more groves and knobs in it than the other. im a noob when it comes to tires. so any help woould be great

updates!!

got this puppy for 12 bucks + $6 for shipping on Egay. that white stuff is reflective tape. i wanna do a rattlecan spray job, but keep some of the flake. maybe scallops. any ideas?
myhelmet3.jpg

myhelmet2.jpg

myhelmet1.jpg

also bought my new case!!! it looks soo damn clean. 25 + 25 for shipping. thanks a gain Egay
newcase.jpg

next up is gasket kit, carb kit, tank, axle plates and im sitting pretty!

the rings are outta the piston that was jacked up and scortched, but i cant seem to find any new rings. :( the valves are out, just fire wheeled the carbon off and there is only minimal pitting. so thats godd. still searching for rings. any rings from another bike that would work?

just did a quick search on wiseco pistons site, standard bore for the xs 400 says 66 mm, in the manual, they make a 66mm set for the rd400,maybe something to look into. was just bored so i thought i would look, donno if it helps,Im thinkin there has to be something out there!!!

i just randomly logged onto ebay and did i search. first one i saw it was ending in 90 seconds so i waited and tossed up 12.00 and won it . lol
it says medium, but fits like a small. which is just about right

Back