Xs400 budget build

generalyen

XS400 Member
Reaction score
so I picked up a 1981 xs400 heritage special 2 in trade for a bbq. The po told me the engine was ruined due to a poor top end rebuild where he used high temp rtv on everything causing the low oil light to kick on .so I decided to tear the engine down to get to the bottom of the issue. I found no damage to crank, cam, gears or bearings. So here is my question, do I need to replace head studs? If so where do I get new ones? I was able to split the case with only removing one con rod so I assume I need to replace those bolts as well. Any tips are appreciated. Once I get the engine back together and running, I will the start modifications.

The case halves use RTV sealant when they are joined together. Everything else has a paper gasket and various rubber O-rings. Con-rod bolts are very hard to find. Honestly, from what youre saying about how the previous rebuild went... I'd probably set that engine aside and pick up another one.

I have a gasket kit and yamabond for the rebuild, and I was going to try the stealership for the con rod bolts.I don't see any visual issues to warrant junking the engine, so if I'm out 100 dollars on gaskets, con rod bolts and rings thanI'd rather not shell out 500 on a new engine. But if I could find one for like 200 then I would be interested.

I'll be ordering my conrod bolts from ARP they speced-out bolts for me with the measurements I sent them....
They are for a Mitsubishi...can't remember the product number but the ARP rep told me they would fit the bill with minimal conrod machining.
Keep you posted.

Yep... saw those but they won'the ship up north for some reason and even if they did, they cost more in shipping than the bolts, everywhere I look ends up costing me a total of 20$ EACH ....as for ARP...they end up costing 10$ a bolt.
So since I am already
85$ GASKETS SET
50$ oil seals kit
70$ piston rings
55$ stainless steel Allen bolts
10$ starter clutch bearing
100$ valve grinding compound,assembly lube,carb cleaner,blast media....etc
.....and this is just the beginning of the engine rebuild....cam chain? Perhaps...bearings....valve shims ?
....I figure...I might try to save a little if I don't want to end up with a 1000$ engine...

If you value your time and plan on riding the bike, get a valve shim kit. They are around $160US right now. Once you start lapping valves, there is no avoiding shims. Having a selection on hand will save you hours or even days of waiting.

Back