XS400 Cafe Project

GaragebanditXS

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Im new to the forum but have found some pretty helpful information while doing some digging around. The project that I kind of stumbled upon on craigslist a while back was already been cut into and painted. I know not very purist of me to buy a half finished project but couldnt pass it up. It was mechanically sound but does have some electrical gremlins so I have been spending a lot of time in that department. Other than that just a few odds and ends including a seat and she will be done. Im located in Colorado so if anyone is local and knows of a good custom seat place or guy let me know. If anyone shows any interest ill post more progress pictures and hopefully the finished product.
00R0R_bI2nEQCkQ9l_600x450.jpg
00000_9YnfhIujMdx_600x450.jpg

20190220_202928.jpg
20190220_203036.jpg
20190220_202956.jpg
20190222_182646.jpg
20190222_182702.jpg

The two things I see that will need addressing is your "air filters" are the worst type and setup for these bikes. Stock setup is best for overall performance. Running the stock H-pipe with black uni foam filters will work well if you must have pods. Not having any mufflers will greatly effect how the bike runs also. I would look for a good stock 80-82 sohc ones if you want best overall performance. A good megaphone muffler with 1"-1.5" outlet will work ok. MAC makes some ok sets. There are lots of threads on these subjects in the forum. It's to bad the last owner hacked it all up before you got it. Hope you can figure it out and make it a good running/riding bike. Welcome to the forum.

Well, there doesnt seem to be a wiring harness. Doesnt look like theres a regulator or rectifier or fuse box either. There should be a ignition box too if you have an electronic pickup.

You can find this stuff here in the classifieds if the bike didnt come with any of that.

Thanks for the inout guys i do have the wiring harness i have it removed right now. I had to unwrap it to try and find out why my headlight and brake light arent working. The tail light turns on but not the brake light. I have tried a couple different brake switches so I have been going through some wiring diagrams trying to figured it out but thats what im kind of invested in right now. I have a couple mufflers coming as we speak from Dime city cycles along with a speedo and a couple other things. As far as the Pods, thank you for that Chris I believe I still have that H-pipe so I am going to have to swap that out.

Back