xs400 carbs 1980 standard

gillies

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi, can any one give some advice please, my xs 400 starts great but has unsteady tick over, either to fast or conks out, cleaned carbs 3 times , left side plug shows running lean very white, and mixture screw is 7 turns out but still lean, other side is only 4 turns out and perfect, float heights are good, so why is left side still lean. cheers

Sounds like 2 possible issues. First thing make sure your idle & high speed circuit's are free & clear judging by the mix needle being so far out. Also be sure you don't have a vacuum leak between the carb & intake port. And just had another couple thoughts. Check to see if your vacuum diafram's are pulling the mix needle properly & that your throttle's are at least close to being balanced. There's a lot of information on these carbs in this forum and it's been an outstanding help to me. ! last thought PLEASE do not use ethanol fuel in your bike. These get such good mileage that spending the extra for non oxygenated fuel is easily offset by lower carb maintainance

Sounds like 2 possible issues. First thing make sure your idle & high speed circuit's are free & clear judging by the mix needle being so far out. Also be sure you don't have a vacuum leak between the carb & intake port. And just had another couple thoughts. Check to see if your vacuum diafram's are pulling the mix needle properly & that your throttle's are at least close to being balanced. There's a lot of information on these carbs in this forum and it's been an outstanding help to me. ! last thought PLEASE do not use ethanol fuel in your bike. These get such good mileage that spending the extra for non oxygenated fuel is easily offset by lower carb maintainance
Thank you Mr. Stubbs, I will have another check on all of your thoughts, as soon as i get the time, which is another problem

Restart the whole tuning process from the beginning. Make sure the valves are in spec first. Check your timing. I bet your carbs arent synced properly. That will give it a very rough idle. You shouldn't have to go more than 3 turns out on the idle mix screws. Start on 2 turns out. Seems like you either have an air leak, or the carbs aren't synced.

Restart the whole tuning process from the beginning. Make sure the valves are in spec first. Check your timing. I bet your carbs arent synced properly. That will give it a very rough idle. You shouldn't have to go more than 3 turns out on the idle mix screws. Start on 2 turns out. Seems like you either have an air leak, or the carbs aren't synced.
Thanks Mike, i will start again appreciate your advice

Back