XS400 charging system upgrade - PMA / stator & permanant magnet flywheel

michaelwoodcock

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys & gals, I'm working on converting from the stock charging system to a PMA charging system on an XS400. The stock charging system was getting weak (although I didn't note it had failed) and the rubber seal where the wires pass thru the crank case cover were a leaking spot. I couldn't source original parts for the repair so I commited to doing a conversion so I have a source of new parts should they be needed down the road. There are many other reasons I've decided to do this, but I guess if you're reading this, you have a few ideas as to why this would be good too.

Here's what I've got so far:

I started out with a scan of the side cover:

then I made a plate based off these holes to hold a stator:
IMGP0423.JPG

after this I had to sand down the banshee stator mount to fit the stator without hitting the kawasaki 900 flywheel

I want to make one with a bolt hole for the electric start delete built in instead of what I had to do here. I'm also working on a wire seal to prevent any future oil leaks. I may go thru the electric start delete, not sure at this point. I can almost fit a regulator rectifier inside the engine case. That would be awesome. I would only need one wire penetration. I only want to try it with an inexpensice regulator rectifier, however, and I haven't found one small & cheap enough yet.

IMGP0428.JPG
IMGP0435.JPG

Last edited:
Don't forget to set the timing marks from the old rotor to the new one. Setting valves and timing will be impossible without them.

Cool project. Have you looked at the previous threads on doing conversions? I believe it's been done with smaller mounting plates(?)

I'd avoid trying to hide the regulator inside the engine case. Those regulators are prone to failure with just poor air circulation, nevermind being in a fully enclosed hot engine compartment.
Also, the hotter they get the poorer the regulation.

It's not the cheapest but the SH775 regulator is supposed to be one of the better ones out there. It uses a different technique to regulate which puts less stress on the stator and runs cooler.
Triumph apparently switched recalled bikes to it after having problems with stators and regulators failing.

Don't forget to set the timing marks from the old rotor to the new one. Setting valves and timing will be impossible without them.
Thanks for the reminder! I'll figure something out. Might have to broach a keyway into the new flywheel.

Cool project. Have you looked at the previous threads on doing conversions? I believe it's been done with smaller mounting plates(?)

I'd avoid trying to hide the regulator inside the engine case. Those regulators are prone to failure with just poor air circulation, nevermind being in a fully enclosed hot engine compartment.
Also, the hotter they get the poorer the regulation.

It's not the cheapest but the SH775 regulator is supposed to be one of the better ones out there. It uses a different technique to regulate which puts less stress on the stator and runs cooler.
Triumph apparently switched recalled bikes to it after having problems with stators and regulators failing.

Very good info, thanks! The heat was a concern of mine, but this bike will have a very small electrical load. LED tail light & running light. I guess the heat could still cause a failure. I'll heed your wisdom on this one.

I've seen some previous conversions but I decided to take a slightly different path. Their plate is much smaller, you are correct. In one thread I can't see any pictures, in another (here) http://www.xs400.com/threads/upgrade-charging-system.4648/page-2
I could not quite grasp what is going on. The plate looks like it just sits under the engine cover.

How'd you end up sealing up the spot where the wires used to exit the crank case? I've got oil leak problems with a similar mod that I did.

Back