Xs400 enduro/hybrid

What was the cost of project( if you don't mine)

I might try next winter... I missed a dr350 other day for 500$ had a cracked base.

What is the bike in your profile picture?

this one?
c1c8ddcf.jpg

its a 1980s XS400 :)

had some work done by Redmax Speed-Shop in the UK :)

840a70b2.jpg

d585f02d.jpg

That is a question I have been trying not to think about:yikes: I'm sure its way more than I thought it would be. I paid $275 for the original bike(s) And I probably have another $800-900 in it. I don't have any labor costs so that helps. Dr350's are sweet. That is what I originally wanted.

What was the cost of project( if you don't mine)

I might try next winter... I missed a dr350 other day for 500$ had a cracked base.

ooof 93cm, that is a tall bike.... KTMs generally are 910ish in enduro trim. Not that it matters when riding. Your bike looks flippin mint mate :)

it is really nice mate, It could do with softer rear shocks as the ones on it are way too firm, they give a lot of feedback tho and the steering angle on tarmac is spot on. Will change the tyres at somepoint tho coz it generally spends its life on tarmac and would work better with less knobbles :)

Congrats on building a bloody excellent bike. I like your choice of front fender - it works really well with all your custom work.

What carb jets did you end up using and how do they perform.?

Thanks pork! I am running 150 mains and 25 pilots. It runs decent. I think the mains are lean and the pilots are rich

Congrats on building a bloody excellent bike. I like your choice of front fender - it works really well with all your custom work.

What carb jets did you end up using and how do they perform.?

Thanks pork! I am running 150 mains and 25 pilots. It runs decent. I think the mains are lean and the pilots are rich

On a dirt bike,those carbs typically use 170-180 mains and 45 pilots,but that's a 2-stroke,and some models use 230-280,which is insanely rich,but works.My '75 Dt400 dirt bike runs a vm30ss with 180 main and 45 pilot,and runs like a scalded dog. It has extreme acceleration,and is very smooth throughout the speed range,but actually slips the clutch when it gets"on the pipe"at high RPMs,which is unusual.The only explanation that I can come up with is that it hits a power band at about 6500 RPMs that is too much,and slips.Redline is 7000,but is easily hit in any gear. lha

I would like to get some riding video of the bike.....heck, I would like to ride the bike. My wife is about to have our second baby so my "honey do" list is quite expansive at the moment. I really want to get some miles on the bike I will try to get some video when I do.

Thanks for the info.

Any riding videos gonna be posted?

I posted this on Dotheton so I thought I would share.

"I have done quite a bit of searching but have not found the info I need. If you have a minute to help me out I would appreciate it. My bike is an 81 xs400 with vm30's I am running K&N pods and 2 into 2 exhaust. I am running 150 main jets and 25 pilots. The air screw seems to work best at 1 turn out from stop. The clip is on the middle slot on the needle. I enclosed some pictures of my setup. I also have a link to a video of the problem In the video you can see if I blip the throttle from an idle id stumble and or dies, but If I blip it from a high idle or slightly higher rpm it gives me much better throttle response. at all other RPMs throttle response is decent. Any help would be appreciated. I just didnt want to spend any unnecessary money on jets in the wrong direction. Thanks again. Let me know if you need more info."

Pics.....
DSC_0412.jpg

JUNE2012260.jpg
JUNE2012252.jpg
DSC_0410.jpg

Video.....

The problem has to be the pilot jet. If your carb has an air screw,screwing it in would richen it,but if it's a gas screw,running it in would lean it.You need to find out what kind of system you have,and change the pilot jet accordingly. Or you could get a #20 and a #30,change them out,and see which one makes it run right.The good part is that you're getting closer to having the jetting sorted out.On my Dt400,the pilot jet is 45,main is 170,and it has a VM30SS carb. Try it and keep us informed. lha

Very cool build. Love the fab that went into it. It def is nice when you don't have to pay for labor that's for sure. Only thing i would change is the front fender, it just doesn't "fit".

Ever thought of throwin' some smaller wheels on there and hitting a supermoto race? That bike would probably be really fun on a little track like that. Great bike by the way! I followed the whole build but never posted anything myself. Looks awesome man, one of the coolest bikes I've seen for sure.

Thanks kid! I have thought about that......It really would be fun. I kinda went another route with the bike. I made a sidecar for it. I have a thread on here that follows that build. Its almost done. Thanks for looking.

Back