Xs400 enduro/hybrid

Dude, nice bike!! I want to do this with my xs, just not as tall. I got short legs. So, I guess I'm looking for more of a tracker style? Anyways, my speedo is f*ed, so I was wondering how does the Trail Tech pick up the speed on your bike? Also, I'm from PA as well and wanted to know where you got your seat cover made? I really hope to see this bike someday! Bad-ass man!

appearantly my phone failed to post this afternoon... lol The computer comes with a pulse sensor that mounts to the fork leg and either a magnetic rotor screw or a magnet to glue to the rotor. It counts the rotations of the wheel and calculates the speed that way.

Well.....ya beat me to it but that's what I was going to say. I just replaced one of my rotor bolts with the magnetic bolts. It's kind of a pain to get the sensor lined up on some forks. When I switched to usd forks it was a pain. But the conventional forks were very easy to setup.

Im actually using a polaris speedo which uses a similar pulse sensor, except it counts the holes in the rotor, kinda interesting. But it has the added benefit of a fuel guage aswell as the rpm, trip, odo, temp, oil, & high beam.

If you don have a rotor I would think you could glue the magnet to the rotating part of tw hub or attach it to the spokes. The magnets are not any heavier than the bolt they replace so balance shouldn't be an issue.......I think. Haha

Following your build thread and I have two questions:

I'm considering the VM30s or another slide/needle setup. I take it you got them from SUDCO, or someone got them through SUDCO.

Did you get the jetting settled? Slide/needle carbs without accelerator pumps often stumble right off idle if you open the throttle too fast. (which is one of the reasons why the factories use CV carbs) The pilot jet listed seems to be on the small side. I'd have guessed a 30-40 minimum. Generally, the VMs seem to be set up correct when the pilot air screw is out about 1.5-2.25 turns from seated. If one turn out or less, the pilot jet is too small. The screw controls air to the cavity the jet resides in, then the air/fuel emulsion goes through the two small holes where the slide meets the throttle bore on the engine side. The CV carbs are like cars in that the screw adjusts the already mixed air/fuel supplied around the closed butterflies.

Let me know what you're found. I'm waiting to decide on what to do for carbs. I already have one set of bad carbs, so I want to do this once and correctly.

If you're serious about slide/needle carbs, look at Keihin FCRs: they have the accelerator pump plus a whole lot of other advanced features (for motorcycle carbs-cars had all that stuff years ago).

Next: pipes: is that the DIY set that Mike'sXS sells? I'm considering converting my project to a street scrambler with the high pipes on one side. Sort of the old Triumph Trophy/Honda CL look.

We're in the same state, and looking at your scenery, I'd say not too far apart. Nice project, very well done. Not just show, but go. Great job. :thumbsup:

Yeah we all seen that.That bike is so cool why are you selling?If I ever get a hold of another xs400 that's what I want to is make an endure out of it.One thing I wonder since the engine is a 4 stroke how does it do riding on traials does it build up the rpms fast enough to run like a dirt bike?Oh one other question what is that swing arm off of?

Question: did you ever sort out your carb jetting probs? I would say,offhand,that you're too lean,thus the stumbling. The air screw should be set at around 1-1/2 turns,and a half turn in would indicate that you need a richer pilot. Maybe raising the needle would help as well. lha

http://www.sanitariumdesigns.com/terror.php?id=projects&ProjectID=29

Not to much has changed since the last update, issues with title so I put the project on he backburner for a bit. End result will be close to same but with gas mask with projectors in the eye sockets for the headlight, hand guards wth turn signals integrated, 40mm ammo cans (the big ones) as the saddle bags, tail fairing is staying and adding a set of radiator fairings to clean up the ugly between the radiator and tank, then all plastics rhinolined and camo painted and ofcourse dualsport tires.

Posted via Mobile
i have an enduro
EZRHINO putting a cafe racer version together

Back