1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Featured Xs400 enduro/hybrid

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MILLENNIUM FALCON, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Looks great ! Skid plate with the holes looks sweet. Got a color picked out yet?

2. Thanks! Yeah I am going with a silver and Yamaha Blue scheme.

3. tbakic

tbakic 1st cafe project underway

love it, i was thinking the same thing (for my bike lol) black perforated with "something" behind it, in this case a number! ;)

4. tbakic

tbakic 1st cafe project underway

sweeeeet build! i love it ;) i would LOVE to ride your bike when its done hahahah that looks like it will be great fun

5. Haha I just realize who this is. I guess you know about xs400.com :D

6. Sandrew

Sandrew Estonian XS rider

I just read DTT and was wondering why you'd point that out for him over there:).

7. I never claimed to be the brightest bulb on the tree. ;)

8. Pork Chop

Pork Chop XS400 Junkie

This bike is looking bloody great. The bash plate really ties in the tail and the tank and balances it out nicely. :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

9. It took me 6 months to put it together and 47 minutes to take it apart. I will finish tearing the frame down, then I need to finish all the welds I couldn't get to with the engine in. And start prepping for paint. In the mean time I will be rebuilding the forks and cleaning up the wheels and mounting tire etc.......So much to do. I also need to clean/paint/polish the engine. It doesn't really have any oil leaks or mechanical problems, so I think I am just going to run it as is for the summer. I will save the go fast bits for something to do next winter if I get bored.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. I finished stripping down the frame. I ran into a bit of an engineering snafu when I tried to remove the rear shock. I put one of my sub frame braces in the way of the shock bolt. I had to notch the tubing to remove it....doh! I think I figured out how to fix it. I don't have any pictures of that yet. I did glass up my seat pan so I can get it off to the "seat guy". I also pulled my forks apart and installed new seals and dust seals. The springs and guide bushings were within specs according to the manual. I cleaned up the fork lowers. I decided not to polish them since this is going to be a "dirty" bike. I put in some fresh bel-ray fork oil and 8psi on top of that, then some seal savers and the forks are ready for action. I also picked up my paint today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. lhaolpa

lhaolpa XS400 Junkie

12. FUBAR

FUBAR XS400 Addict

video footage is a must for this beast!! cant wait to see you flyin down a dirt road on it

13. Once I get it all together I'll see what I can do.

14. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

15. I'm not really sure what you are talking about. :shrug:

16. lhaolpa

lhaolpa XS400 Junkie

I read somewhere on here that the German DOHC models had more HP because of the governor set differently. The others have different HP[lower]for some reason.It was in an article about the history of the xs400s. lha

17. drewpy

drewpy Excess twin Top Contributor

I know in the sohc it was the cams where the power was reduced, poss the same for the DOHC

18. domains

domains Banned

deleting rockers and having cams push valves with washers help in friction loss

19. Today I dropped my seat pan off to get upholstered. I might start painting this weekend. I Have Yamaha Blue, white, and Crystal grey(metallic silver). Any ideas for a paint scheme. At the moment I'm thinking about painting the frame Blue and the tank and hump silver with some type of blue or white accents. The front fender and headlight will be blue. Any pics or suggestions will be appreciated.

20. i got to spend all day in the garage today!! I finished painting the bike. I think it turned out awesome. I was to tired to take any pictures. I will get some posted up soon.