Mike Mattia

thatonekidwhoneedshelp
Reaction score
Hey there. New to the XS world. Wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction. Im Wondering if xs400 engines are naturally loud mechanically. Mine is making some cam chain noise it would appear, aswell as a touch of bottom end knocking when cold. It would be great of everyone could post videos of your bikes at idle so I, or any other new xs400 owners can compare noises! Thanks.

Sounds about right. Aircooled engines will always be louder because theres no water jackets to insulate noises.

I thought i heard some cam chain slop, but that has an auto tensioner so it should always be tight unless its extremeley worn out or the chain guides are worn out. It would probably run like crap if that was the case.

Make sure your using the right 20w- 50 oil for wet clutches. Make sure your valves are adjusted correctly. Also check to see if you have all the rubber fin dampeners still on the motor. There should be 14 on the left and 18 on the right, from what I can remember. Your doesn't sound too bad.

Last edited:
If your timing chain was loose enough, it would create slop and it would sound like youve got marbals inside there. Your timing might be affected from this which would make it run inconsistently.

Back