Xs400 exhaust gasket dimensions, thoughts?

Sam mcd

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently changed my exhaust on my bike to a higher scrambler style setup after my old pipes started touching the roat on one of my more spirited rides! It's a fully custom exhaust but I'm having a hart time getting the left cylinder to seal on the pipe so I think I need some new gaskets. Anyone know the ID OD and thickness of the copper gaskets for the sohc? In in NZ so parts from Ebay take forever to get here. I can get copper gaskets locally just need to know size.

This was my first time doing a pie cut exhaust so I'm pretty happy how it turned out, I really wanted to get some nice colour on the welds so I ran slightly less post flow and they came out pretty sweet!

Thanks.
20191006_190039.jpg
20191005_200115.jpg
20191006_190016.jpg

You can measure what you have. Pull your head pipes. Measure the ID of the head. Measure the ID. Measure the thickness of the flange on the pipe. Measure the depth of the opening where the pipe goes in.
You want the thickness of the gasket, + the width of the flange to be about 1/8 inch or more than the depth of the opening in the head.
That way as you tighten the exhaust clamps down they will compress the gaskets. This should leave a bit of daylight between the pipe clamp and head. If not you need thicker gaskets. Not gap means the gaskets are not getting compressed.
Leo

I might put some heat shielding along that pipe where it passes my leg. I don't like burns.
Leo

Back