xs400 kick start only

Tyler H

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody! New to the forum here. I heard introductions are essential so here you go. Just bought my first street bike (never thought i'd have one before buying more dirt bikes) and its a 1980 xs400. I've stripped it down to a frame and motor essentially and am waiting on parts to show up. My first of many questions is about wiring (i know). I've searched the forums and can't seem to find exactly what I need so here it is. I know with electricity it has to be completed in a cycle.. that being said I live in CO and some things are not necessary to have on the bike. With my build I want an led turn signal strip in the rear but won't be running turn signals in the front so i've pulled the turn signal wires from the female connections off of the front. Now I just want to make it a kick only bike. Can I pull my starter solenoid and simplify that wiring and still have the bike start? the negative wire for the battery comes from the solenoid plus some other connectors so I'm a little worried if I pull it I will disrupt a major electric flow and the bike won't start. Any help will be appreciated!

ps, whats the things I circled in red? I assume its a relay of some sort

Attachments

• IMG_3282 2.JPG
    IMG_3282 2.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_3309.JPG
    IMG_3309.JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_3341.JPG
    IMG_3341.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_3343.PNG