xs400 maxim 82, battery/ general issues.

Ace

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping I could get some input from someone here about battery issues. My maxim came with an battery of unknown age that matches the specs of the yuasa lead acid battery I see recommended on this forum and I bought the Mighty Max AGM YB12A-A . The old battery starts the bike fine, but the mighty max just doesn't provide enough power. I've charged both, the old one goes flat after a bit but fresh it can start the bike. It seems like at rest the mighty max is about 12.2 and the old battery is about 12.6, does anyone know if that's just how the mighty max agm battery is and I have to use a lead acid or did I get a dud?

I have cleaned the carbs hard, replaced various bits of the carbs with oem spec parts, compression is low but tolerable. I suspect there's a vacuum leak on the carbs but I was gonna wait till winter to split them and replace the butterfly valve seals. My personal opinion is there's a lean condition due to a vacuum leak somewhere, and the agm battery doesn't have enough electric fairies to get her to go. But I'm a newbie and was hoping someone could tell me if my line of reasoning is reasonable. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PXL_20221014_024152504.jpg
    PXL_20221014_024152504.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 43
The agm should also read 12.6 or higher when fully charged. I'd look into exchanging it if its still under warranty. How many volts is the charging system putting out?

I have the Mighty Max YB12A-A on my bike, and as @tstidham said, a new, fully charged AGM battery should be at least 12.6. It sounds to me like you have a failing cell in the AGM battery and I second trying to return it under warranty for a new one.

The agm should also read 12.6 or higher when fully charged. I'd look into exchanging it if its still under warranty. How many volts is the charging system putting out?

I can't remember exactly what it was putting out just that it looked adequate and I didn't make a note of it.

I have the Mighty Max YB12A-A on my bike, and as @tstidham said, a new, fully charged AGM battery should be at least 12.6. It sounds to me like you have a failing cell in the AGM battery and I second trying to return it under warranty for a new one.

Thanks, I'll look into returning it. I've been looking at the forums for recommendations and will hopefully have a new battery soon.

P.S does anyone know a part number for the fuel crossover tube o rings? That's leaking now, and I guess that means I'm splitting the carbs. I've already got the throttle shaft seals I was saving for a rainy day.

Attachments

• PXL_20230607_215735922.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230607_215735922.MP~2.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 55
Back