XS400 Maxim Won't Start

popmac

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, this was going to be a "first bike!" post but sadly I'm having some issues. This is my first bike and I have very little knowledge but am happy to learn and try things out. First I want to rule out anything stupid and if I need to take it to a mechanic then fine but if it's something I can do I have no problems reading manuals and watching videos, I just don't know where to start. I've tried Googling but can't find my exact problem so I'll be as specific as possible.

The bike was bought yesterday and the previous owner on two separate occasions three(ish) hours apart did a cold start of the bike so it should be running. After transporting it back I'm stuck.

Trying to start the engine, it turns over but just won't quite get there. After trying a few times one of two things will happen - either absolutely nothing, or a rapid clicking sound. The clicking can either be accompanied with the engine turning over briefly or nothing.

Letting the bike sit for a while returns it back to the initial state - it'll turn over but not start for a bit then clicking after a few tries.

I messaged the original owner to see if the bike has any weird quirks to get it going and he said no. Bike in neutral, set the petcock to prime, choke all the way to the left, start it, move petcock to open, let it sit for a bit and move the choke to the right.

I've tried the petcock in on, reserve and prime, tried messing around with where the choke is, can't get it to start.

So - any ideas? Where should I start with this?

Thanks!

Welcom @popmac! You can start by charging the battery which has been drained by your efforts. While that is happening, you can spend time reading through the posts here. We have so much info here it overwhelms people into asking questions that have been answered.

Welcom @popmac! You can start by charging the battery which has been drained by your efforts. While that is happening, you can spend time reading through the posts here. We have so much info here it overwhelms people into asking questions that have been answered.
Thanks for the response. You're right, there is a tonne of info here - I've been reading through a bunch of posts over the last week as I was deciding if I wanted to buy this bike or pass on it. I did search for the starting issue and didn't find what I was looking for but part of not knowing much about bikes yet is I don't really know what to search for. So sorry if the question gets asked lots here - I'll work on my searching skills.

Either way, you were right. Charged the battery for a couple hours and now she starts! It's having some other issues but searches for each one come back with "clean the carbs" so that's going on the top of my to-do list. I was able to boot around my works parking lot for an hour or so though!

Good to hear you got it running. Doesn't take much to drain the little batteries in these things.......

I am a newb also and well taking the carbs apart and cleaning them is actually not as hard as I thought. And yes there is a wealth of info on this forum. I have found plenty of posts asking things that I wonder about to. Just remember the search button is your friend ;)

A bike in good order will start with a half turn over...
Full battery (meaning recent, and a charging system in working order)
CLEAN CARBS....really really clean carbs (and keeping them clean...so in-line fuel filter,seafoam...)
No leaks at the carbs or around them...
Good compression
Fresh spark plugs,fresh oil....
...and more...you get the jist of it...
Welcome and good luck with the bike.
Post pics...

I am a newb also and well taking the carbs apart and cleaning them is actually not as hard as I thought.
Do you mean you are new to bikes, or new to mechanics in general? I have absolutely no mechanical knowledge to the point that until two days ago if you asked me to point to a carb I wouldn't have been able to. I've been reading my manual and the forums, doesn't seem like it should be too bad but I'm curious to gauge what your knowledge level was going in when you say it's not too bad.

A bike in good order will start with a half turn over...
Full battery (meaning recent, and a charging system in working order)
CLEAN CARBS....really really clean carbs (and keeping them clean...so in-line fuel filter,seafoam...)
No leaks at the carbs or around them...
Good compression
Fresh spark plugs,fresh oil....
...and more...you get the jist of it...
Welcome and good luck with the bike.
Post pics...
From everything I'm finding about the issues the bike is still having, carbs are the issue and cleaning them *should* fix it. Oil is good, I just put new plugs in. I have no idea how the air filter looks right now and I would assume it needs to be replaced but you have to remove the carb to get to it, if I'm reading my manual right, so I'm going to change that at the same time I'm going to do the cleanup.

Pictures will come soon - previous owner painted the forks, exhaust, etc black - which I like the look of, but he did a bad job of it. I'm going to be stripping and fixing them so I'll most likely make a new thread with some before and after pics then... But here's one for right now.

Attachments

• 20170620_131150.jpg
    20170620_131150.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
If the bike is stock, checking the air filter is a trivial task involving a #2 JIS screwdriver and 2 minutes of your time. I have a new filter you can have if you are in the Kitchener, Ontario area.

If the bike is stock, checking the air filter is a trivial task involving a #2 JIS screwdriver and 2 minutes of your time. I have a new filter you can have if you are in the Kitchener, Ontario area.
Really? For a SOHC or DOHC? The Maxim is DOHC and reading the manual it looks like it's a lot of work to get to the filter, but I would be very happy to be wrong.

I'm a province over from you, I'm in Winnipeg.

Do you mean you are new to bikes, or new to mechanics in general? I have absolutely no mechanical knowledge to the point that until two days ago if you asked me to point to a carb I wouldn't have been able to. I've been reading my manual and the forums, doesn't seem like it should be too bad but I'm curious to gauge what your knowledge level was going in when you say it's not too bad.

Yes new to bikes but have had my hands greasy plenty of times. I know just enough to get myself in trouble........

Look at this video from Willem http://www.xs400.com/threads/1978-carburetors-for-beginners.6375/ great video and shows you everything.

Really? For a SOHC or DOHC? The Maxim is DOHC and reading the manual it looks like it's a lot of work to get to the filter, but I would be very happy to be wrong.

I'm a province over from you, I'm in Winnipeg.
Yeah, I know know what it is. Be happy. Chapter 2, page 38. Remove side cover. Remove air filter cover (3x #2 JIS screws). Remove air filter.

Expect a new filter to cost around $15. Shipping the one I have would cost that or more.

Yeah, I know know what it is. Be happy. Chapter 2, page 38. Remove side cover. Remove air filter cover (3x #2 JIS screws). Remove air filter.

Expect a new filter to cost around $15. Shipping the one I have would cost that or more.
Ahh thank you so much! I'm not sure what I was looking at that lead me to taking out the carbs, I'll have to reread the manual after work today.

But, I just ran out to the shop and unfortunately I don't think this has helped. The filter looks pretty good, I think.20170623_093335.jpg 20170623_093342.jpg

Back