XS400 off road trike ATC

79xs

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
A short weekend project I did last year. I think it was Fall 2011. Anyways, its a 1979 XS400 with a Yamaha blaster rear end on it. It uses the mono-shock off the Blaster. Sorry for the lack of swingarm pictures. I'll snap some this week.

I got the bike from a local scrap guy in trade for some repair work on his motorcycle. It was bashed up pretty good. It was being used as a dirt bike. For the people who know the XS well you may see some odd items about this bike. I got it as seen in the first photo with a YZ wheel and knobby tire. What I found odd was that it has a rear MAG wheel, but the front forks are for a spoke front wheel (with drum brakes)... so it seems as if the person who put that YZ wheel on there may have put some tought into the switch.

One other problem with this swap: I had no adjustment of where the rear sprocket would be placed on the rear axle. I had to put the sprocket where it would line up with the motor sprocket. Because of that the rear end is not centered to the bike. Its off by a inch or two. If I really wanted to correct this I would add a wheel spacer to one wheel. I also posted a video of the bike after I tuned it up.. before modding it. Tach is sticky btw.

Bike.jpg

Swingarm.jpg

Swingarm.JPG

shock.jpg

1979-XS400-ATC.jpg

Alright, I pulled this old thing out of the weeds to get it back in working order.

First item on my list was to remove all the wiring and make a simple harness.

ATC-cleaning.jpg

Stock%20Harness.jpg

Stock%20Harness%20Opened.jpg

Stock%20harness%20igniton.jpg

This is what I ended up with. I still have my warning lights, key, and right hand control switches (start and kill)

Harness-new.jpg

One fuse for the rectifier and one for the ignition/trouble lights. Kickstart Only.

battery.jpg

The throttle was not in the best shape.

Old-Throttle2.jpg

Lucky enough I keep a pretty good stock of 70s and 80s Yamaha parts :D

New-throttle.jpg

Broke the carbs down for a cleaning.

Carb-parts.jpg

Not Good.

Carb1.jpg

A buddy of mine was nice enough to let me use the ultrasonic parts cleaner at his work. We ran it for one more cycle after this picture.

Carbs-Ultrasonic.jpg

It's not always easy :banghead:
StuckJet.jpg

Short walk around and ride video.

Back